September 4, 2017

The North American leg of the Illuminate tour was over, and I had some time in Toronto before heading to Rio. Then I had two more months off before I'd travel to Oceania and Asia.

During this first break, I'd moved into my new condo. My mum had undertaken the task of furnishing the place, though she'd been great about consulting me before each purchase. The condo was sleek and modern so the furnishings fit that look. It wasn't a huge place, but it had three bedrooms, a kitchen and dining area, and a living room. What set it apart from every other place I'd considered was the view of the Toronto skyline. I'd spent the last few nights sitting out on my terrace just staring at the CN Tower while I tried to absorb the fact that this place belonged solely to me.

I had my family over for dinner a couple nights ago, which meant my parents brought all the food while I provided the drinks. The Burroughs came, too, though Ceci hadn't been able to make it because she was a mentor for incoming freshman and had training for that job. It was never the same when our families got together and she wasn't there.

Today, for Labour Day, I was having a party with my closest friends. I bought a ton of alcohol, which was the key ingredient for a good time. My mum insisted that I serve food, so I'd taken the easy way out and had a local restaurant prepare a bunch of unhealthy but delicious appetizers.

The guys came early, insisting we needed to pre-game before everyone else showed up. This meant taking multiple shots in a short period of time. I'd learned my lesson last month when I'd woken up hungover with a stranger in my hotel bed, so I was pacing myself better than my friends were.

Within hours, my condo was packed with friends, as well as friends of friends who wanted to party with me. You could tell who those people were because they were constantly pointing their phone at me to take a picture when they thought I wasn't looking.

I was out on the terrace when I saw Ceci through the window. I hadn't seen her arrive, but there she was standing in my kitchen drinking something out of a red cup, smiling at Matt as he told her something. She looked gorgeous in a pair of white frayed jeans and a pale pink t-shirt. It had been a month since she shut me down at my birthday party and that still stung. I hated that I had no idea where we stood anymore. Of course she was still my best friend, but we hadn't had much contact lately, other than when I'd texted to invite her to come tonight.

She turned and made eye contact with me, and I felt my cheeks turn red with embarrassment from the fact that she'd caught me staring, but I didn't look away. I gave her a smile and she returned it before saying something to Matt and walking towards the sliding door to the terrace. My heart started to race slightly.

"Hi," she said as she sat down next to me. "This place is incredible. I really love it."

"Thanks. I'm happy with it. Have you had a chance to look around?"

"I've only seen the kitchen, dining, and living rooms. I'm not one to snoop behind closed doors."

"You're welcome to snoop all you want, but ignore the boxes in the guest bedroom and studio. I haven't gotten around to them yet," I told her.

"My mom said that you had a little help with the decor."

"Ha! Well, you certainly can't see me coordinating lamps and pillows, can you?"

"I bet you've got a stronger sense for aesthetics than you give yourself credit for," she insisted. "You always look incredible on stage and on the red carpet."