May 10, 2019

Brian and I carried the last two cases of beer up from my car and set them on the counter next to the six bags of ice.

"We just need to get these in the coolers and dump the ice on top," I said.

"Out on the terrace?" he asked.

"Yeah, that works."

Once we'd done that, I went to my room and changed out of sweats and a t-shirt into a Yves St Laurent button down and black jeans that I'd cut off at the bottom.

"Ceci is definitely coming?" Brian asked when I joined him in my living room.

"Yes. She texted me this afternoon to say she'd be here."

"And she's still single?"

"I think so. We've talked a few times since the big break-up and she's never mentioned anyone new," I said.

"Tonight's my night. I can feel it. I'm not going to get too drunk, I'll bring up clever topics that will impress her, and maybe you can let it drop that I'm doing an incredible job on tour."

"You know what the key to getting someone to fall in love with you is? It's being yourself and not trying too hard."

He cocked an eyebrow. "Is that right? How's that method working out with Fiona? Last I saw she was still with Vince, supporting him while he was in rehab for his Adderall addiction."

"I'm pretty sure she was supporting my dick with her mouth during those five days she spent with me in London last month while he was locked down at that facility," I countered.

"Touché," he said as he did a slow clap. "But please don't be so crude when my sweet Ceci gets here."

The whole Fiona thing was a total mess. I kept hooking up with her with hopes it would turn into something more, and she kept going back to Vince. She swore that it was ending, but then something always got in the way. Most recently it was his drug problem. At the end of our time together in London last month, she'd said that dumping him when he was vulnerable could cause him to relapse. I'd told her that I understood that, but until she was ready to just be with me, I was done. I hadn't heard from her since, which led me to believe that she'd decided to stick it out with him.

Hours later, my condo was filled with my closest friends, minus one.

"She's not coming," Brian said as he sat down next to me at the kitchen counter.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and checked again to see if she'd texted. Nothing. I was debating whether I should message her when there was a knock at my door. One of the guys opened it and there was Ceci.

"Cecilia!" Matt bellowed as he hugged her. "How long has it been?"

"Too long," she replied with a warm smile.

I got up and walked over to greet her. "I started to think you might not show up."

"Sorry...I was at the design lab again. I should just give up the lease at my apartment and live there."

She looked a little tired but she was still beautiful. Her hair was shorter than usual, hanging barely past her shoulders. She had on black leggings and a baggy long-sleeved U of T t-shirt, which made me think she'd come straight from campus.

"Can I get you a drink?" I asked. "There's beer and a wide variety of booze."

"I could really use a beer."

There was a hint of sadness in her eyes. Had that fucker Adrian broken her heart?

We stepped out on the terrace so she could choose her brand of beer. It was chilly, so everyone was inside, and I took advantage of the privacy.