July 1, 2022

"It feels so nice to be home," Ceci said as we stepped through the door to our Toronto condo.

I'd wanted her to spend her entire recuperation period in Los Angeles, but after she'd pushed, her team of doctors had given us the go-ahead to fly back to Canada as long as it was a non-stop flight.

"It sure does," I agreed to make her happy. "I'm going to carry all our luggage upstairs. I want you to change into pajamas and get into bed. I'll bring you dinner. What sounds good? Thai? Indian?"

She started up the stairs, holding on to the handrail for support. "I'm not that hungry, so I am fine with anything."

After making Ceci promise not to unpack, I helped her get undressed and into one of my t-shirts. She still struggled with getting her arm in and out of sleeves since extending it caused pain around the bullet wound near her collarbone. Then I tucked her into the king sized bed and gave her a kiss.

"Don't let me sleep too long. I just want to take a short nap. It's too early for me to go to bed," she said as she closed her eyes.

I went downstairs and opened up my computer to look for a good place to get take-out. Lisa and Eric had wanted to bring dinner over tonight so we could have a low-key Canada Day together, but Ceci had asked that they wait until tomorrow to visit. She told them that the flight might take a lot out of her, and she'd been right about that. I personally thought we'd come home too soon, but it was what she wanted and I'd do anything to make her happy.

Jesus...it had been a really rough month.

I didn't realize that I was crying until my tears started to drop onto my laptop keyboard. I pushed it back and wiped at my eyes.

"Get yourself together," I said to myself under my breath.

My phone started to vibrate on the counter and I saw it was my mum.

"Hi. Sorry I didn't call like I promised," I said when I answered.

"It's okay, love. How was the trip?"

"Long and exhausting. Ceci couldn't get comfortable in her seat and that elevated my anxiety. She's asleep and I'm trying to figure out dinner. Nothing sounds appetizing."

"If you look in your fridge and cupboards you'll see that Lisa and I stocked them. There's everything you need for sandwiches as well as some homemade chicken soup," she told me.

I started to cry again. "Thanks. That's perfect."

"Shawn, I'm worried about you."

"I know...I know. I promise I'll focus on myself once she's better. I have the names of several therapists."

"You might be more of a help to her if you're feeling well. Both of you need to talk to someone," she said in her wonderfully soothing voice.

"We will. One step at a time."

"Are you feeling any better now that Sanders has been charged?"

"A little. I guess they are worried he'll claim insanity. His lawyers say his confession is inadmissible since he had a head injury at the time, which could be a problem, though I can't see a jury letting him go," I said. "They are also trying to get the murder charge dropped because they say there's no way to prove that his actions terminated the pregnancy."