June 9, 2018

"I love you! Thank you so much!" I screamed out to the eighty thousand people who filled Wembley Stadium.

I'd just finished singing a medley of "Use Somebody" and "Treat You Better" at the Summertime Ball in London. My headlining set had been incredible and the crowd was beyond enthusiastic. I honestly felt like I was on top of the world.

I jogged off the stage and then slowed to a walk to get to my dressing room, taking several deep breaths to calm down from the high of my performance. Turning a corner, I almost ran into a couple making out against the wall.

"Oh...sorry," I said, feeling slightly embarrassed that I'd intruded on an intimate moment.

The guy backed off his girl and I saw who she was. Fiona Slattery.

"You're Shawn Mendes!" he said excitedly. "We heard your set from back here. Well done!"

I recognized him. He was Vince Thomas, an up and coming British actor.

"Thanks, man," I said as I avoided looking at Fiona.

"Fifi wanted to go see you sing, but I can't deal with those bloody crowds. I get a little claustrophobic."

I considered asking why he'd go to a huge event like this if he hated being surrounded by people, but I refrained because I wanted to get the hell away from both of them.

"Nice seeing you," I said as I started to walk down the hallway.

"Always a pleasure," Fiona called after me.

"It definitely was last week," I muttered to myself as I kept walking.

Exactly seven days ago, I'd run into her at Wango Tango in Los Angeles.

"This song will be a hit, don't you think?" someone asked me from the side of the stage where I stood watching 5SOS perform "Youngblood."

"Absolutely," I answered as I turned to see who was talking to me.

It was Fiona, the woman I'd had a crush on forever.

She smiled at me. "It's been awhile, hasn't it? You've grown up since I went to your concert in London. What was that...two years ago?"

"More like three," I said.

"You were just a pup back then. You've gotten a lot taller and bigger."

As she said this, she reached out and stroked my bicep, causing me to blush.

We stood next to each other through the remainder of the set, at which point Andrew found me to let me know that I needed to get ready since I was up soon.

"Your dad says it's time to go, huh?" she joked after he walked away.

"I need him to help me manage my time. I've got a crazy week. I'm on The Late, Late Show promoting songs off my new album and then I'm headed to London for Summertime Ball."

"Do you ever get to have fun? Or is that not allowed?"

Was she hinting about a specific kind of fun? Or did I think that because I really really wanted to have that kind of fun with her?

"I have fun," I said, trying to sound nonchalant.

"Good to know. I'm having a few people over tonight. Very casual. You should come by."

"Cool. Yeah...I'll try."

She laughed. "Your naïveté is precious. Give me your number and I'll text you the details."