May 18, 2019

"You know what I think?" my mum said to Ceci. "You need to meet someone new. That's the best way to get over any heartbreak."

"Karen is right!" Lisa agreed. "There are plenty of cute fish in the sea. Cast your line and hook a new one."

Ceci shook her head. "I'm going to take a break from guys for awhile."

I was standing next to Eric and my dad as they monitored the smoker on the Burroughs' patio, eavesdropping on the conversation at the table a few yards away.

"The right guy is out there somewhere," Aaliyah said. "It's all a matter of finding him. I think it's important to be patient and open-minded."

"Whoa! Are you giving me advice on my love life? My sweet baby is so grown up and mature!" Ceci gushed as she gave my sister a big hug.

"Just never settle," my mum said. "You're worth too much to be with a man who doesn't appreciate that."

"Enough about me...I want to hear about your lives. Aaliyah, tell me all about how high school has been this year. Are you ready for the summer?" Ceci asked.

I turned my focus back to the dads who were talking baseball, specifically how the Blue Jays were doing. They hadn't won a World Series in decades, but every year we hoped they'd show some promise and at least make it to the post-season games.

"We should have driven together," I said to Ceci a little bit later when I caught her alone in the kitchen.

I'd hoped she might want to stay over at my place since we'd had a great time the weekend before.

She reached into the refrigerator and pulled out the bowls of potato and macaroni salad. "I'm actually staying here tonight. I don't have any tests this week so I figured I could relax at home with my parents. They are always nagging me to visit."

"It's probably hard for them to have you so close by and not see you often."

I was projecting a bit. Whenever I was in Toronto, it bummed me out that Ceci was just a few minutes away, yet we rarely connected these days.

"One more year of school and I'll have more free time. Can you carry these out to the table?"

I took the food out and she brought the condiments. Our two families ate barbecue brisket and chicken on the patio since it was sunny and warm. Between dinner and dessert we stayed at the table talking. I was listening to Eric tell a funny story about Ceci as a toddler when my phone started vibrating in my pocket. I pulled it out and saw that it was Fiona calling.

"Excuse me," I said as I stood up. "I need to take this."

Stepping into the house, I answered. "Hi, Fi. What's up?"

"I got your messages and wanted to call rather than text back," she said. "Is this a good time?"

She sounded a little off, which worried me.

"I am having dinner with my family and our friends, but I have a few minutes," I told her as I moved into the family room and sat on the couch. "Is everything okay?"

"It's all fine. Looking forward to getting back to Los Angeles. I used to hate that it never rains there, but now that's what I like the most about it."

"I'll be in L.A. in less than a month," I reminded her.

"I know. You gave me the dates. You've got a music video shoot and then your concert."

"Did you get the tickets I sent you?"

"Yes. Thank you," she said before a long pause. "I don't know if I'll use them, though. That's why I've called."