August 6, 2021

I kept my 23rd birthday party small since large gatherings were still problematic. I invited my closest friends and my family, which amounted to around thirty-five people total. Given how huge my new place was, everyone could spread out in the open living areas or go out on the two terraces.

Most of the furniture I'd ordered had been delivered. I was still waiting on the grand piano, which was delayed because special equipment was needed to get it onto the upper floor.

All the drinks were on the kitchen island and the food was on the dining room table. My birthday cake was in the breakfast room and was in the shape of a house key since this was also a housewarming celebration. In lieu of presents, I'd asked everyone to donate to Habitat for Humanity so that those in need could also feel the comfort of a home of their own.

I refreshed my whiskey and walked out onto the south terrace where several of my high school friends were gathered.

"Mendes!" Ian shouted. "Love this penthouse!"

He was standing beside his girlfriend, Rose. Next to her was her best friend who I'd met a couple times when we'd gone out to bars. Rose asked if she could bring her since she'd recently had a bad break-up and needed a fun night out. Of course I said yes. I tried remembering her name but was drawing a blank.

"Did you hire an interior decorator?" the pretty blonde questioned. "Everything looks so nicely put together."

"My mom helped pick everything out. A lot of it is from my old condo so it was a matter of finding complementary pieces to fill in the larger spaces."

"You'll have to give me a tour later," she said.

Shit. She was flirting with me.

"I'll take everyone on one right now," I offered.

I walked my friends through my home. When we got to my studio, I was surprised to find Ceci and Brian sitting in there alone.

"Are we interrupting something?" Matt asked with a grin.

"We just wanted to go someplace quiet to talk," Brian answered.

Ceci stood up and put an obviously fake smile on her face. "I'm going to go find my parents."

Once she left, Brian glared at us. "Thanks a lot. I was so close to convincing her to go to Shawn's concert with me next month and then you guys showed up."

Rose rolled her eyes. "If you have to convince her to go on a date with you, it's never going to work out."

Brian left the room, presumably to chase after Ceci, and I quickly wrapped up the tour.

Over the next few hours, while drinking and mingling, I found myself watching Ceci and Brian. He seemed glued to her side, and she didn't seem to mind. By the time I'd finished my fifth (or maybe it was sixth) drink, I was agitated by this. When Brian got up from his seat next to her on the sofa, I swooped in.

"Can I talk to you alone a second?" I asked her.

Ceci looked confused. "Is everything alright?"

"Yeah, come talk to me. Okay?"

"Are you drunk?"

"Just a little," I said. "Maybe a six on a scale of one to ten."

She stood up and we went straight to my laundry room where we'd have privacy. As she leaned against the washer, I looked her over. She had on long strapless dress in a deep teal color that looked amazing with her coloring. Her hair was down but she'd styled it into large bouncy curls, and she actually had make-up on. No wonder Brian couldn't leave her alone; she was gorgeous.