January 1, 2023

"Happy new year," I said to Ceci before giving her a deep kiss.

My love and I were enjoying the quietest New Year's Eve ever. Several friends had invited us out, and it was a little tempting since things were finally pretty much back to normal after years of coronavirus restrictions. After considering our options, we chose to stay in and ring in the new year by ourselves.

We were alone in the living room of the California house dancing to a playlist of old slow songs that I'd made on the flight back here. The only light came from the ten foot Christmas tree in the corner of the room, which Ceci said we'd be taking down in a couple days. I'd be sad to see it go considering we'd had so much fun buying ornaments and decorating it together.

"At Last" by Etta James starting playing over the speakers.

"I love this song," Ceci murmured, her head resting on my chest as we swayed slightly.

"Maybe it could be our first dance at our reception."

She looked up at me. "I thought we put discussing that on hold."

I shrugged. "You're wearing the ring again, so it makes sense to think about the wedding."

When we were in Toronto for the holidays, I'd proposed to Ceci. This time around, it was because I knew I wanted to be married to her.

"Want to take a walk around the neighborhood to look at all the lights and decorations?" I asked after Christmas Eve dinner at her parents' house.

"I'd love to," she replied with a smile.

As we strolled, gloved hand in hand, it started to snow the kind of big flakes that you see in the movies.

It was the perfect setting.

I removed my gloves and pulled the ring out of my jeans pocket, where I'd put it that morning because I knew I wanted to propose tonight.

Kneeling in front of her, I held it out. "Ceci, I love you with all my heart. You're my lover, my best friend, and my life. Will you marry me?"

She smiled at me before looking at the ring that I held between my thumb and forefinger.

And then she started to laugh.

"What's so funny? And are you going to answer my question?"

Once she got her giggles under control she pointed to the ring. "Yes, I'll marry you, but that's not my ring!"

I looked at it. Somehow I'd managed to grab the wrong ring. Instead of the lovely antique one, I had the three carat emerald cut diamond ring I'd bought for Fiona.

"Jesus," I muttered as I stood up. "I'm such a fucking idiot."

"Maybe it's time to get rid of that one," she said. "I bet you could donate it to a charity auction."

"That's a great idea, but I can't believe you're not mad about this. I just tried to give you her engagement ring!"

"It's not like she ever got it, right? It's just a ring, and if I'm being honest, a rather gaudy one."

"This was her style, which probably doesn't surprise you," I said.

A few hours later, after returning home to the condo, I got out her ring and slipped it on her finger. We decided to put off setting a date for awhile, and just enjoy our engagement.

"We forgot the open the champagne," Ceci said as the song ended.

"We could have it with brunch."