September 2, 2003

"Shawn? It's time to wake up," my mama's gentle voice urged.

I pulled the blanket over my head and curled up into a tight ball, hoping she'd just let me stay in bed.

Nope.

"I'm going to go downstairs and start your breakfast. I want you dressed and at the table in ten minutes. Got it?"

"Do I have to?" I whined from under the covers.

"Yes, you do. You can't miss the first day of senior kindergarten! Your teacher would be so disappointed."

I thought of Miss Penner, who I'd met a few days ago when my mom took me in to visit the classroom. I'd gone to a different school last year, and the new one was big and scary. My new teacher was very nice and she smelled like flowers. I wouldn't want her mad at me, so I yanked down my blanket and gave my mum the best smile I could manage.

"There's my handsome boy," she said as she ruffled my hair. "See you in a few minutes."

She left my room and went down to the kitchen, so I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to pee. When I was done, I brushed my hair the best I could. My bangs stuck up a little in front, but there wasn't anything I could do about that.

Back in my room, I looked at the clothes that were laid out on my dresser. I had a pair of tan pants and a red polo shirt, which I put on after changing my underwear. A belt was next to my socks, which meant I was expected to tuck my shirt in. I hated wearing things tucked, but if I didn't do it, I'd get scolded when my mum saw me. I grabbed my shoes from the closet and slipped them on, thankful that's they had Velcro, because I still struggled with tying in a bow. I could do it, but they always came undone within a few minutes.

When I entered the kitchen, I was greeted by the smell of bacon and eggs, which got me drooling. I sat at my spot and took a sip of the orange juice that was on my Spider-Man placemat.

My mom put my plate in front of me. "Try not to get anything on your shirt, Mr. Messy."

While I ate, my mom talked to Lisa on the phone, apparently making plans for the walk to school.

After breakfast my mom opened up my backpack, also Spider-Man, and showed me where my supplies were. Some things were just mine, but other stuff got turned in to the teacher for the class to share, like the box of tissues and glue sticks.

"It's a little chilly," Mama remarked when she opened the front door. She then got me my favorite navy blue zip up sweatshirt and a sweater for herself.

We were about to go when my dad came down the stairs. "Looks like I'm just in time for the send-off!"

"I wanted you to sleep in, Manny," my mom said. "You were up so late last night doing that paperwork for your business."

My dad just started his own company and this meant he had long workdays. The good thing was that my parents said it meant we'd probably move into a bigger house with a yard. The bad thing was that my dad was up late every night so that he could spend time with us.

"I got enough sleep; don't worry so much, Karen. Besides, you're the one who needs to rest," he said before giving my mum a big kiss on the mouth.

Gross.

"Have a good first day of school," he said as he squatted to my level. "Listen to your teacher and be kind to everyone in your class."

"I'm scared," I said quietly as I looked down at my shoes.

"I understand. You're going to have a great day, though. I promise."

He then gave me a bear hug before standing up and kissing mama again.