Chapter 12

When Baloc had gotten home, the first thing he did was boil the water, he needed some warm liquid down his throat. The call early this morning was frustrating, why would someone be up this early to deal with that shit? He raked his fingers through his hair and leaned against the counter. His home was small but spacious, just the way he liked it, it was also the way she liked it, Tess, he missed her so, he missed her laugh, her smile, just her overall presence, it was enough to make him warm inside. He smiled for a few seconds but it was gone just like that, the only thing he had left of her were pictures and one other thing.

'Dad?'

He looked up to see his daughter, Rosemary, standing at the entrance of the hallway, she was too skinny for a twelve year old, her hair was plaited and she wore dark blue sleepwear, 'what're you doing up sweetie?' He began to make a drink, 'you want a milo?' She shook her head, 'no, I'm fine, what happened, are you okay?' He sighed, 'just a little tired, don't stress', she stressed just like Tessa would, sometimes he hated it and sometimes he didn't mind it, but tonight, he would kill to not see her like this, this morning hadn't been so great and he wanted to ignore the fact that a dead body had been delivered to someones doorstep and he couldn't get over the look of fear on that woman's face.
They both sat down on the sofa, the television flickered on, some kids cartoons had started playing, 'what happened dad?'

'I'd rather not talk about it'.

She rolled her eyes, 'so I guess I'll find out a little later then', he smiled, she always did, though he'd prefer her not to find out about any of the work he does, but just like Tessa, she was always one to not back down, when she had her teeth in something, she wouldn't let go. He was surprised that she would never get any nightmares with all the photos he had in the case files, it wasn't like he wanted her to see them, they were all in his office, 'another woman was found', Rosemary shook her head is disbelief, 'I don't understand, why do they do this? Why goes through their minds?'

'Sometimes nothing, they just want to do these horrible things because they're not right in the head, but others would also have a motive, which is what I think this killer has'.

He took a sip, 'but that's all I'm going to say, you should be sleeping', she pouted, 'oh come on, you get to stay up!' He lifted the cup, 'because I've got a drink and -' he pointed a finger at himself, 'I'm older than you', she rolled her eyes, 'nice dad, a real good excuse', but he could still see the trace of amusement flicker in her eyes before she went to kiss his forehead and head back off to bed. He was alone again, the cartoons still flickering across the television.
When he was down with the drink, he'd grabbed the case file, three new bodies collected, two with notes, the third victim bore no clue at all, maybe to show that he's serious, that more will die, he shook the thought out of his mind as he turned each page, assessing the girls faces. So beautiful, he wondered what their personalities were like, now he'll never know.

Think Baloc, think, there must be a connection!

He separated the papers so they were now aligned with each other, three victims, what did they have in common.

It can't be their background.

'Well, I don't think so, one wasn't cared for whilst the other was- I dunno, basically born with a silver spoon in her mouth and the third? Well, we're still checking up on her'.

He halted to a stop, he usually does this, talks to himself, some people think it was strange, hell, even Storm thought it was strange, but from previous cases, the little voice in his head prove to be very useful. He smiled to himself before taking a closer look at the girls, wait... Can you see it? Can you see their eyes? He looked closer, yes! Their eyes.

'Segmental Heterochromia'.

The words slipped out of his mouth instantly, he knew of this, the different colors in the eyes, it was beautiful, though it was a genetic curse for some families. All three women had some form of Heterochromia. Why didn't you guys notice it before? Because we weren't paying attention. He groaned in annoyance, he had to talk to Miss Georgina, he had to see her eyes, it was early in the morning and he couldn't see them, now he was interested.