Chapter 13

Blood use to flow through these bodies, but now, not anymore. Stacey rubbed her eyes before resuming the research.

'When was the last time you had a good nights rest?'

Rushforth's voice echoed through the room and she looked up from her paperwork, 'it's been a while' she replied and he shook his head whilst grabbing his phone, 'oh, it's Robertson, he's got some info for us, he'll be coming in, he sounds like he's onto something if he wants to come in'. This was going to be interesting.

'Really? Well this is going to be very interesting to see, because I'm stuck'.

About twenty minutes in , Baloc was had arrived, holding a couple of files underneath his arm, a look of determination plastered over his face. He placed the files on one of the silver counters, 'come here, I realized we've missed something', shit, that didn't sound good at all. He placed all the small photos down, 'look at their eyes', he grabbed one of the extendable lamps, shining the light straight onto the pictures.

'We should have had bigger pictures'.

Stacey looked a little closer, 'what's wrong with their eyes, they look... Colorful', Rushforth laughed, 'oh my god, how did we miss it?' Stacey was confused, 'what? What did we miss?'

'The girls, all three of them suffer from Segmental Heterochromia, it occurs where the same areas of the iris are different colors'.

'Oh, that sounds strange'.

Baloc sighed, 'all three of them have Heterochromia and -'.

'You think Deacon Georgina may have it as well?'

Rushforth said with a nod, 'sounds like you're onto something, where's Storm?' Baloc kept the photos out, 'he called in late, he'll be here soon and I'll give him an update'. This was perfect, this was going to help them.

'Their eyes are beautiful, such beautiful eyes belonging to such beautiful people'. Stacey shook her head, 'this can't be happening, we have to find this guy', Baloc sighed, 'it's not everyday you come across someone who has this genetic condition. If we guess right, that his killer is only hunting people who have this, then he won't be going on a killing spree for too long... Unless he knows of a few that have it'.
Stacey's fingers brushed over the pictures, was he close to these women before he killed them? She would never know.

------------------------------------------

It was 1:00pm when Deacon was called in for questioning, she sat at a table, the interrogation room, her heard began to race but she knew she hadn't done anything wrong, but she could always be framed for something she didn't do. The door opened and she watched a man enter the room, it was the FBI Agent from before, Agent Robertson, 'thank you for coming in Miss Georgina', he sat across from her, placing a file on the desk, 'I hope I didn't interrupt anything'. She shook her head, at the moment, she realized that he was staring at her with a lot more interest than that night, but then she figured it out, of course he's not interested, he's only interested in your eyes, it's not everyday you come across someone with oddly colored eyes such as these. 'Your eyes are unique, but I take it you already know that?' His voice was calm and soothing, she nodded slowly, unsure at what he was getting at. He leaned forward, opened the file and showed the photos of the girls. She had to try and not flinch away, three victims, before she could say anything, he put his hand up, 'I'm not here to accuse you of anything, but I'm referring to your eyes, I know what you have, it's something called Heterochromia', she smirked at him, someone's been doing some research, 'yes, correct, that's what I have... Why?' He pointed at the girls, specifically their eyes.

'All three girls have the same, though they have Segmental Heterochromia'.

That peaked Deacon's interest, 'what?' She grabbed the pictures before he could hand them over, 'unbelievable, all three?' She examined each girl, all beautiful, they really were beautiful girls, 'oh god'.

'I didn't notice your eyes before because it was so dark and I didn't pay as much attention to them as much as I am now'.

'So it sounds like the killer is targeting only these kind of people'.

He shrugged, 'it may be... Do you know anyone by the name of Nightingale?' She froze, gotcha, 'yes I do', he cocked an eyebrow at her, 'that's what they called me', he leaned back, arms folded, 'they, as in the masked attacker?' She nodded, 'yes, they kept on saying Nightingale to me... Why, what happened?'

'we found scrap pieces of paper with a few messages on them, they were with the girls when we found them'.

He brought out a plastic bag, revealing the scrunched paper, 'the first one said find my little Nightingale and bring her to me'. He watched her colorful eyes grow big, 'oh my god, they've found me!' She began to panic and quickly he pushed the files and evidence aside to catch her hands just in time before they flew off the table, he looked her straight in the eyes, 'take a deep breath, breathe with me okay', she copied him, tears streaked her face, 'I was emailed a photo a few days ago, someone had taken a photo of me outside my work, I didn't think too much into it, sure I was worried'. He nodded, 'if anything else happens, let us know as soon as possible', she was focused on her breathing, but she couldn't ignore the gentle caress across her knuckles by his thumb. When she looked to her right, she could see the two way mirror, staring back at her was herself, scared and helpless, but not alone. She was going to stick to that.