Chapter 23

Nandos was his choice and she went along with it, she wasn't a fan of the spicy chicken, which was why she always chose the lemon and herb basing. The news blared across the television screen, revealing the latest, the shooting at the department. Deacon looked away, trying to focus on something else, instead, her eyes focused on her brothers hands. He'd hurt himself pretty bad, 'you say you tripped over right?' He looked down at his hands, 'yeah, it looks a lot worse than it sounds'.

'You think? What the hell were you doing that caused all that?'

He was silent for a few moment, 'I was in the garden remember, I fell forward and when I braced myself, my hands hit the gravel on the side'. She sighed, something wasn't right, but she didn't want to go into it, she was too tired, 'here, I'll get some cream, did you clean -'.

'Yes, I cleaned it'.

He chuckled as he gently pulled his sleeves up carefully so she could access the whole scrapes, 'I've been a bit clumsy lately', she sighed, 'I can see that, now this is gonna sting a little', she started to apply the cream and it sure looked like it hurt, 'goddamn it!' he hissed, trying to keep his hands still, 'sorry', she whispered but he shook his head, 'it's fine, just hurts like a bitch'. She gently wrapped the gauze around the wound.

'It's unbelievable'.

'Hmm?'

'About the dead girls'.

She looked over at the news, more had appeared, the latest victim on the TV, 'that man is sick, I hope he'll be put away for good' she muttered, 'yeah, hopefully', his voice was just as soft as hers, she frowned, 'what's wrong?' She asked as he leaned back, 'sometimes I wonder what's going on inside their head... The killer I'm referring about', she shrugged, she'd never thought about it, 'I don't know what's going on inside this person's head and frankly I don't care'. He looked up at her with a look that almost came across as hurt, or maybe shock, she couldn't tell, 'really? Not even a little?' She shook her head, 'not even a little, all I know is that they're sick in the head, I don't care if they've gone through bad times, they just don't have the right to kill others over it'. Her eyes flickered over to the TV once again, those girls didn't deserve to die', she felt Greg's hand touch hers, 'I know'.