little smiles

Bellatrix sat outside in the garden, wind blowing in her wild ringlets. Her eyes were closed and her fingers ran through the fur of her companion who in return purred. She remained oblivious to the eyes watching her from the window.

A knock to the door caught Hermione's attention, she closed the curtains to her her window then made her way to her bed.
"Come in." She smiles moving her book over before taking a seat on the edge of the bed.
"Hey, how are you settling in?" It was Draco.

The blonde enters, closing the door behind him.
"All done, apart from some of the books." She looks to the small pile of books that lay on her bed.
"Yeah I noticed..." he closes the distance between them, looking at a few of her books, showing his distaste in some of her choices.
"Shut up!" Hermione reaches for her pillow and flings it at the boy.
He chuckles trying to pull the pillow away from her.
"Hey grab your own pillow!" Hermione yanks it towards her and just like that feathers surround them.
"Oh shit, now look what you did!"
"Me?! You were the one who started it." Draco points an accusing finger. Feathers continued to fall around them and neither one could keep a straight face.
"My first day and I wreck Narcissa's pillow." Hermione try's not to laugh as she sat on the bed once more. Draco on the other hand didn't even try to hide his laugh as he joined her on the bed.
"Don't worry Mione it was only my mother's very expensive Canadian goose feathered silk pillow she had custom made to match the room." Draco taps her shoulder.

"Your an absolute arse, you know that?"
"Hey I'm not the one who broke the pillow."
Hermione sighs, resting her head in her hands.
"What am I going to tell her."
"Apollo! You get back her right this instant! Don't you dare, don't you go in that room!" The shouting caught the pair's attention and the next thing they new the door opened revealing the cheeky little panda eyed creature dangling from the doorknob. He drops to the floor then scurries over to the pair and placed himself on the brunette's lap.

"Looks like Apollo really likes you." Draco smiles patting the little guy's head who chitters in response.
"Yeah, it seems that way." Hermione ran her fingers through his fur, the shadow in the doorway catching their attention.
"You don't have to stand in the shadows auntie." Draco nudges his friend knowing his aunt wouldn't dare set foot in her room without invitation.
"Oh please come in, I think I have something that belongs to you." Hermione offers a smile, watching as the witch slowly steps into the light, she swallows before stepping inside.

"Yes, I believe you do..." her dark eyes fell to the chittering creature who offers her a smile, waving his little paw at her. Bella frowns, knowing the mischievous little thing too well.
Her eyes soon shifted to the feathers scattered across the floor and bed then she noticed the torn pillow.
Her attention turned back to the trio with a questioning arched brow.
"Hermione did it!" Draco blabbed pointing accusingly at his friend.
"It was an accident! I didn't know they were so expensive. I really didn't intend on breaking them..." Hermione stopped when she noticed the feathers floating around then they were all sucked back up into the pillow and it was as good as new. It was as if someone had hit rewind.
"What Narcissa doesn't know won't kill her. I've done this plenty of times, I'm quite the expert now." Bella offered a genuine smile.
"Yeah, mum can tell when you break something and use magic to fix it but she could never tell when aunt Bellatrix did it."
"Years of practice, she was always like it, even as a child."
"Thank you." Hermione returns the smile, Bellatrix merely nods.
"Apollo." She spoke softly and the little creature removed himself from Hermione and used Draco as a leaping board, jumping to Bellatrix before hoisting himself up on her shoulder.
"Do try not to break anything else." The ravenette said before making her leave.

"I can't believe what I just witnessed." Draco grins, folding his arms.
"What?"
"She smiled at you, actually smiled at you, not to mention she helped you out."
"What's your point?"
"Bellatrix Black doesn't smile at anyone, let alone help them out. She hates people most of the time." Draco nudges his friend
"She likes you, that's something to be proud of. No one can say that Bellatrix Black took a liking to them on their first day."
"Shut up!"

***

Everyone met at the dining hall for lunch, all apart from Bellatrix, who arrived moments later taking her seat beside Narcissa, whilst Apollo made himself comfortable in his little booster seat beside Bellatrix. The ravenette was sat directly opposite Hermione who found herself staring at the woman. Bella eyes her food debating whether it was edible or not, she knew instantly that Narcissa had tried cooking again simply by the overcooked steak. The steak was way beyond well done, Bellatrix knew before even trying it that it would be more useful as a hokey puck.

Narcissa on the other hand smiled proudly as she attempted to cut her steak.
Bellatrix poked it with her fork before turning her attention to Apollo who had apparently devoured the entire meal by the time Bellatrix had chance to blink. She chuckles, capturing everyone's attention.
"You have it everywhere Apollo." She smiles wiping some food from around the little creatures face with her napkin. Everyone returned to their meal, leaving the ravenette to sort out her companion. Once sorted Bella left the raccoon to it, glancing up to see the expressions of everyone else as they ate Narcissa's unique cooking, only she wasn't expecting to be met with the eyes of Hermione Granger.

The brunette smiles, before averting her attention back to her untouched steak, not before catching the small smile Bellatrix returned.