3rd Chapter

The journey to Istanbul, the capital of the Ottoman Empire, seemed to me like an eternity. Days and nights just passed, it seemed to me as if the journey lasted a lifetime.

I did not even have the opportunity to see Sultan Murad on board again. They placed me in the lower part of the ship which was not at all as luxurious as the Sultan's part. There were also two girls on board who were abducted during a visit to Venice. I found out that their names are Cecilia and Anna and that they are from a small island near Venice.

They knew about me since my father was a close associate of the Venetian doge. They were treated in the worst possible way, while the Sultan even provided me with slightly better conditions. That surprised me a lot considering I almost killed him.

After that tediously long journey we finally got to Istanbul. They let us get out of the ship last. When I went out I saw a city that was much more magnificent than they were talking about it.

As soon as I saw the Bosphorus it reminded me of Venice and its Grand Canal. I got off the ship looking around with delight. I was far from home, but this city won me over at first sight.

The very idea of ​​a harem terrified me, but I had nothing to lose. The only person I had was my father who was killed by janissaries. I had no one else. That was my only motivation for survival in this city.

- Do you like Istanbul, Rachela? a familiar voice behind me asked. I saw that it was Sultan Murad measuring me from head to toe.

I didn’t know how to react so I quickly turned around and bowed as they had taught me in the meantime

- It's very nice, the Bosphorus reminds me of the Grand Canal in Venice. I told him enthusiastically.

But at that moment, something else confused me.
- Excuse me, but how do you know my name? I asked him. I tried to address him with respect because I was already embarrassed and rude enough to do anything else.

He just smiled at me with a big smile.
- I'm glad you like it. I know everything about you. - he said and came closer to me, creating an unpleasant atmosphere for me from his closeness. I didn't want to let him know.

- And where is that harem where do we have to go? I asked, turning my head away from him. I felt his eyes on me watching me.

- A carriage is coming for us, we will get there soon. - he told me.
- I can't wait to sleep on a normal bed told him with a sigh. I wanted to be at least a little positive knowing that a warm bed and food in the harem were waiting for me.

He laughed awkwardly.
- Are you missing a bed? he said, trying to hide his laughter.

- It was awful on this ship. I told him, looking at the ship in disgust.

- You can only get your room and your bed if you become a Sultan. This is how you have to sleep in a harem with all the other girls. he told me, trying to catch our eye.

I looked at him very confused. I made a sad expression on my face because of it and I was pretty disappointed.
- You don't like that idea? he asked, laughing.

I made a face the same one I would do when I was a little kid. I would look at my parents with their green eyes and a sad reaction to which they could not remain indifferent.

Murad approached my face and did not smile. It was a very sincere smile.
- Now you're like my daughter Ismihan trying to get my attention. he said with a laugh.

- You have a daughter? I asked in astonishment. At first I thought I could win it, but now that I found out he had a wife I thought it was impossible.

- I have one daughter and two sons, my lions. - he said with a smile on his face, realizing that I didn't really like it.
- And their mother has her own room? - I asked him and I turned out to be silly at that moment. I asked myself why I was asking him such nonsense.

- Sultana becomes when you give birth to a son to the Sultan, in this case to me. They are from different mothers. Ayse is the mother of Ahmed and Ismihan, and Farya is the mother of Suleiman. - he told me and explained to me so that I could understand.

- Do you have children with different women? This is not normal. I told him in shock. He must have been shocked by my reaction to that.

- I am the Sultan, I can have as many women as I want. Ayse is my main first wife, but I am legally married to Fary. he said in a slightly less happy voice this time.

- How can this be your main wife, and this legal one? I asked him, very confused.
- Ayse was the first to give birth to my heir, and that is why her title is Haseki Sultani. I had a legal marriage with Farya and that is why she is my legal wife. he said, trying to explain to me so that I understood everything.

- I've never heard of stupid rules in my life. Here in Venice, a man can be married to only one woman. I told him in a very disappointed voice.

- Maybe if one day you become my wife you won't think about it like that? - he told me with a smile trying to win me over.

- That is impossible. I will never be with a man who has another wife besides me. I would rather stay alone for the whole life. - I told him in a disappointed voice, which I think he assessed as a jealous voice.

- You never know what fate brings you. he told me enigmatically. At that moment, the carriage we entered arrived. The Sultan went to his carriage, which was very luxurious, while they gave me, Cecilia and Anna less luxury.

We drove until we saw the magnificent palace, the largest palace I have ever seen in my life. The doge's palace was incomparably small with this.

At that moment, I could not even dream that this palace would become my home, a place where the most beautiful and ugliest things in life would happen to me.