Chapter 5

Narcissa Malfoy was lying in bed at her sister's house. She felt useless. She couldn't do anything for herself and although she usually had someone do everything for her, this felt different. She was restricted from what she could and couldn't do and this drove her mad. She just wanted to do something for a change. She loved Draco's visits because it gave her something to do, but the particular visit today brought her joy she hadn't felt in a long time.

Draco stopped by his aunt's house to tell his mother about him and Harry. Narcissa was the only person besides Blaise, Pansy and Goyle who knew about his crush. Narcissa was so happy that he would be moving in with Harry. She thought about how good it would be for Draco to live with the person who brought him the most joy. This triggered something in her mind though... a memory... of the war.

"It was cold and dark. Voldemort asked if he was dead. So I approached him. I couldn't bear to see the one thing that never failed to bring my son happiness, lying still, dead. I wasn't sure he was dead but he sure looked like it. Then I thought of Draco, how upset he would be. Was he even still alive? I sure hoped he was. I knew he couldn't hear me but I had a feeling he would know, so I asked. I asked Harry if Draco was alive, and he nodded! Harry nodded. I knew he would know, I just knew. Well, not only was Draco alive but so was Harry! Draco wouldn't have to suffer the death of his love. But then I remembered... Voldemort. He wouldn't just let Harry live. It was up to me, I had to, for Draco, even if it cost me my life. 'Dead' I replied."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You're doing what?" Pansy asked, rather loud. "Calm down Pans, you know he's wanted this for a while now." Blaise looked at Draco and continued. "You do want this, correct?" Draco rolled his eyes. "Of course I want this, can you not tell? I've wanted this my whole life, to be Harry's roommate. But he had to be a Gryffindor, Saint Potter, the Saviour, the Chosen One, the- " Blaise cut him off. "Yes we know Draco, we've all heard this a million times. Saint Potter with his beautiful green eyes, Saint Potter with his dark, messy, perfect hair, Saint Potter this, Saint Potter blah, blah, blah. Merlin Draco, how much more of this are we going to have to listen to?" Blaise asked. "I don't sound like that!" Draco shot back and ended his firecall. If those two were going to tease him, he wasn't in the mood to put up with it. 

It was one week until Draco planned to move in with Harry and he couldn't wait. He was getting all of his belongings together when he realized something. He needed to get Harry a gift! Harry was probably dreading the following Friday when Draco would move in, the least he could do was bring a gift. Draco went downstairs and through the Leaky Cauldron entrance to Diagon Alley. It wasn't very busy, it was May after all which meant no students shopping for school supplies. Draco went to Flourish and Blotts first. "Maybe there'll be a book I could get him." Draco wondered. He searched for half an hour but failed to find anything he thought Harry would like, although he found several potion books for himself. 

Draco had been to several shops and had no success in finding Harry a gift, although he had gained quite a few items for himself by the end of the day. He was about to give up when he saw something out of the corner of his eye. Harry's bright green eyes! He turned to face the window and saw a beautiful snowy owl staring back at him. It looked just like Hedwig, who had died, but with green eyes instead. Draco was sure Harry missed Hedwig and remembered him saying he was borrowing an owl at the moment. Draco knew that this was the perfect gift he had been looking for all day. He rushed into Magical Menagerie and purchased the owl with no hesitations. Harry was going to love it.