Auror Buddies

You made your way to your first potions class with Hermione.

"What do you think the new teacher will be like?" Hermione asked you as you walked through the corridors.

"I don't know," You said plainly.

"Please don't be sad," She took your hand.

"I'm not," You snapped. She looked taken back.

"Sorry," Hermione muttered.

"No, I'm sorry," You squeezed her hand. "I guess I am still upset about Draco."

"It's alright," Hermione smiled, as you reached the potions classroom. "You have every right to be. And I honestly doubt he's going to be in this class, so you may not have to see him at all..."

You entered the classroom and froze when you spotted Draco standing on the opposite side with his friends. He wasn't talking to them and looked serious. He spotted you and you locked eyes for a second. You broke off the eye contact and walked to the center of the classroom with Hermione following you.

"Hello class," The professor announced. He was bald and old, and he had a smile on his chubby face. "My name is Professor Slughorn and I will be your Potions Master this year. With potions, attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all planning."

He paused as Harry and Ron entered the classroom.

"Ah, Harry my boy, I was beginning to worry," Slughorn beamed at them. "We've brought someone with us, I see."

"Ron Weasley sir," Ron introduced himself. Beside you, you noticed Lavender Brown staring at him, lovingly. Hermione glared towards her, making you laugh silently. Ron continued but you weren't paying attention anymore.

"What was that?" You whispered to Hermione.

"What was what?" Hermione blushed as she caught you looking at her.

"That look you gave Lavender," You said quietly, making sure Lavender couldn't hear you.

"I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about," Hermione said quickly, whipping her attention back to the center of the room where Slughorn stood.

"Now as I was saying," Slughorn continued as Harry and Ron went to fetch potions books in the corner of the room. "I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?"

Hermione's hand shot into the air.

"Yes Miss...?" Slughorn asked.

"Granger, sir," Hermione clarified. She made her way to the table with the potions on it. "That one there is Veritaserum, it's a truth telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion, it's terribly tricky to make. And this is Amortentia, the most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them."

"Very good, Miss Granger," Slughorn beamed.

Harry and Ron made their way towards you and stood beside you silently.

"Changed your mind about potions?" You whispered to Harry.

"I figured since Snape isn't the one teaching it, it may be worth a try," He shrugged. "And apparently it's a good subject to take if you want to become an Auror."

"Auror buddies," You smiled and bumped into him playfully. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Draco tense. You turned to look at him and he looked away.

"Now, does anyone want to volunteer and take a whiff of Amortentia?" Slughorn asked the class.

No one moved.