♤Prologue♤

"Daddy, why is controlling your breathing so important?" A little girl asked, struggling to exhale all the air in her lungs while letting her stomach fall downwards.

Her father smiled at her, "It's to lower your heart rate honey." placing his palm against his daughter's stomach and upper chest. He knew that such exercise would be too challenging for the petite girl, but it was integral for her quirk.

"Lower my heart rate...?" she repeated in a confused manner, "Why-?" finally done with her breathing exercise. She always wondered why she needed to do an activity like that, from her knowledge, she was the only kid who does that. Was she different from the other kids?

"Well..." he mulled for a while, trying to simplify the explanation. "It's so that you can beat all the bad guys-!" he exclaimed, punching the air.

The girl's face lit up in an instance, "Really-?! I can be like you?!" her eyes sparkled at the thought of that. Her father was always so cool, defeating all the baddies and saving the world.

He chuckled at her adorable daughter, "That's right, you can be even better than me!" he said as he picked her up, raising her high up in the air. The girl laughed cheerfully, only one thought was circling her mind at that moment,

I'm gonna be a hero-!

__________

"Dad-? My heartbeat...why does it control everything? I...I hate it." The young girl said, tears threatening to spill out.

"Kid..." His face softened at the sight of her crying daughter. "That's why you have to learn to control it." He went towards her, giving her a tight embrace.

She sniffed, "Can...can I really save people...? I-I

"You can." He interrupted her, "You definitely can, you'll be a great hero." he said sternly. She paused, breaking into tears at her father's words, she cried loudly as she buried her head in his clothes. Her father's heart ached for his poor daughter, already doubting herself in such a young age. He gently patted her in the back,

"Remember (y/n)."

"Love your heartbeat."

__________

You stared at your hands, sitting on the cold hard chair, "I..." you managed to choke out a sentence.

"It's-it's all my fault." you felt like crying but there were no tears coming out, perhaps you were finally feeling numb? Lowering your head, you muttered a sentence, a sentence to remind yourself who you truly are.

"I..I'm sorry dad."

You clenched your hand, "I'm not a hero..." the blood slowly trickled down your palm.

"I'm a murderer."