CHAPTER 34

FLASHBACK

"Meghan, get ready I'm taking you out today'', Clara was way too sweet today and Meghan tried not to think about it much.

''Aunt I would like to just stay home, if that's fine'', Meghan was tired from all the stitching she had busied herself in today. Clara wasn't able to afford an additional tailor yet, so Meghan took it upon herself to do the designing and tailoring at the shop.

''Oh, come on, don't be a spoiler, we're scrunched up in this place the whole day anyways. You're coming and that's final. Wear a nice dress will you'', Clara clapped her hands in excitement.

Meghan wore the only dress she had designed herself, the rest of her out door outfits were at her old home. The dress was a strapless yellow piece of cotton, with tiny red flowery motifs all over it, just ending above her knees.

''Good, let's go'', Clara drove them to a tiny home a few minutes away from their place. It was a huge, single villa surrounded by lush greens and colorful flowers but Meghan couldn't figure out where they were and she dared not ask her aunt.

''Welcome, I was expecting you two any moment now'', Matthew pulled Clara into a formal hug and kissed Meghan's cheeks.

''Why are we here aunt'', Meghan whispered to her aunt as Matthew guided them to his living area.

They were not the only one there, couples, families, some of them Meghan recognized as her clients from the shop and some others she couldn't figure out were present, dressed fancily, sipping drinks from crystal glasses. What confused her the most was that they were all looking expectedly at her.

It was like they were expecting her, strange.

All eyes turned to Matthew when he clinked his glass with the back of a silver spoon.

''Attention everyone, I've invited you all for a very special announcement today'', he smiled at Meghan and toasted.

''Ms. Meghan Bates has consented to be my wife, everyone'', there were cheers and hoots as Meghan was passed across the hall for everyone to congratulate.

It was like the earth had slipped from beneath her feet, wife, how, when, is this why Clara would invite him to the shop and then at her home, for this. She knew, her aunt knew all of it, how could she.

Meghan pulled Clara into one of the empty rooms across the hall,

''What's going on'', she hissed.

''Well, dint you hear, you're getting married'', Clara smirked.

''I heard that, and no I'm not'', Meghan snapped.

''You are sweetie, in fact you already have'', Clara handed over an envelope to Meghan as she quickly skimmed through the papers, they had her signature on it.

''No, this cannot be'', Meghan recollected her signing a few documents regarding the sanction of her will money but definitely not this.

''You cheat, I'll drag you to court for this'', Meghan screamed.

''I don't think so sweetie, the papers say otherwise and besides I'm your legal guardian, with complete authority over your will money as mentioned by your parents. I don't see what's wrong Meghan, Matthew is a nice man and he'll keep you happy. You would want nothing more'', Clara glared at her.

''What's happening'', Matthew interrupted the conversation.

''Matthew I can't, we can't'', Meghan couldn't control her tears and fell on her knees.

''Love, believe me I'll keep you happy, I'll take care of you more than she can'', he looked at Clara.

''No'', Meghan tried counting her options mentally. She had none. She was yet to graduate, the will money wasn't hers yet, practically she had nowhere to go. One wrong move and it would leave her nowhere.

The marriage was just a formality since they were already married in the eyes of the law. Matthew was a banker by profession and had extremely expensive tastes. High end restaurants, branded shops, you name it and he bought it. The first few months into marriage were fairly alright.

He would take her on dates, dinner parties and office get to gather's but he was extremely possessive too. One stare from a man and he wouldn't hold back on his public display of affection, wanting to mark his territory. Meghan was an independent woman now, she had graduated and this sort of behavior was very unwelcome. He wouldn't even let her work.

''Please Matthew, it's just for a few hours every day and they're paying well too'', she had once talked to him about a job opportunity that came her way.

''Watch what you wear to my parties next time and I'll think about it'', he pointed at her knee length lace dress.

Arguments and discussions turned into full blown fights and fights into abuse. It was then one night where Meghan settled upon confronting Matthew, maybe ask him for some space or a divorce. He had come home drunk that night.

''Matthew hear me out, are you even listening'', Meghan had tried to grab his attention but all he did was pour himself a glass of more drink. The moment she tried to restart her conversation he jumped from the couch over to her and banged her wall to the head. The next few moments were blurred as she tried to defend herself, moved across the hall, away from him, his leg gripped in a stand light by the balcony and the next thing she knew he was on the porch, dead.

The court case was meant to be and since only the two of them were present at home, she ought to be under suspect. The case did not last for long, forged signatures, forceful marriage, abusive husband, all of it was more than enough to prove her innocent.

''After analyzing all the evidences put forward by the defense lawyer, Mrs. Lucas is declared not guilty. She's to be freed of all the accusations and charges and is allowed to respectfully continue with her life, and is permitted to file for divorce against the same. The court is adjourned''.

She was finally free.

Chapter 34 is up! Are we emotional because I'm sure as hell I was in tears while writing this bit. Don't forget to vote, comment and share💜