CHAPTER 40

''It's alright, I'm fine mi vida, it was just my chest, bitch missed my heart'', Wilson tried to sit up straight on his bed. Soon after he was shot, Caleb was quick to lift him up on his shoulder and put him in the car. He stayed back to brief Simon about the incident while Meghan had volunteered to drive them to Wilson's penthouse as instructed by Caleb. The family doctor was already waiting by the foyer when she managed to drag him up with the help of the guard. She ignored the gasps and screams of his family as she dumped him on the bed.

The doctor was quick to retrieve the bullet, disinfect the wound and stitch it up. He seemed anything but worried.

''Why isn't he waking up'', she sobbed.

''You don't have to worry dear, it wasn't that much of a deep wound, he's seen worse trust me, he is just dehydrated, give him some time, I'm prescribing a few medicines to ease his pain after he wakes up, instruct him to pop them in with some water'', he wrapped up his kit, cleaning what little mess he had made.

''What do you mean by he's seen worse'', she looked at Wilson lying on the bed peacefully.

''You should ask him that, it isn't my place to say, but he is a strong man, take care'', he left. It was only after a few hours did he wake up with slight pain in his shoulder.

''Oh don't give me the I'm fine crap, you've been unconscious since I don't even know how long'', she sobbed into his chest.

''Where is everyone and Caleb'', he asked, caressing her hair with his hands.

''They left, you needed rest, Caleb is on his way here, he was briefing Simon about the crime scene'', she looked into his eyes, he surely looked more relaxed.

''I'm glad you are safe mi amor'', he smiled, that smile could melt even the toughest of hearts.

''Your family doctor told me this is not the first time you've been shot'', she had to confront him. His smile dropped immediately.

''You know how I work, my business'', he sighed. He grazed her knuckles and pulled her closer to kiss her jawline and travel downwards.

''No, I don't anymore'', she was not going to get side tracked anymore.

''Meghan, it's just that sometimes I deal with contracts revolving around mafias, contracts that an ordinary business man wouldn't want to get into. So just sometimes, things can go the wrong way and I deal with them my own way'', he wasn't going to get into the gory details for her sake.

''Does your mother know'', she was angry.

''No'', he looked away.

''That's why you and Caleb carry guns'', she was not going to let this go. He huffed, it was clear this was a touchy topic for him especially since he had just woken up from a deep slumber and this was the least of his problems right now.

''Yes'', he pulled her by his side silencing her with his lips when Caleb cleared his throat.

''Now if you are done interviewing can we please celebrate the fact that we made it back home in one piece'', Caleb sat on the bed beside Wilson.

''You two are nuts'', she let it go and smiled, glad he was safe and alive.

''What did Simon say'', Wilson wanted to be updated and Meghan just snuggled closer into him taking in his musky scent. For a moment that gesture earned her a dazzling sparkle in his eyes before he shifted his attention to Caleb.

''Well we know why Clara did what she did, but he still isn't convinced that's all that is to it. The text messages weren't sent by Clara. She was definitely not alone'', he breathed.

''I thought so to, I've known her since forever now, she would not pull of this stunt on her own, and do you remember she said she got in touch with the right people, I wonder what she meant'', Meghan was pondering over this from the time they had come home. Wilson placed a soft kiss on her forehead in an attempt at relieving the tension that was gnawing at her.

''You are not going anywhere without security got it, no if's no but's, I'm getting you Max'', he glared at her trying to challenge her.

''For god sake Wilson, could you please stop worrying about me, what about you huh'', she snapped back at him.

''I think we all need to be a little careful for what is to come next'', Caleb sighed.

Meghan decided to stay put, helping Wilson to adjust to his wound. She had taken upon herself to make some warm soup and bagel for him to eat and busied herself in the kitchen as a distraction. Caleb had shifted a few files and laptop to Wilson's room so they could work together at home. He caught Wilson thinking about something deeply.

''What is it'', he asked.

''Could you ask Grey whether or not did he find out who leaked the pictures of Diana'', he shared the thought of it being something to do with yesterday's attack. It was just an intuition but he wanted to be sure.

Caleb made a few phone calls while pacing in Wilson's balcony while Meghan brought him lunch. It looked like she was holding something back.

''What is it Meghan'', Wilson asked away.

''It's all my fault, Clara is why you are here in the first place. My past did eventually manage to haunt my present. I would have lost you Wilson. Could have never forgiven myself for that'', fresh tears fell unbidden on her cheeks.

''I don't think so'', Caleb was back with a blank face as he looked at the two of them. Wilson looked at him expectantly.

''Grey has managed to retrieve the man's IP address who leaked the photos of Diana'', he sighed.

''Who is that bastard'', Wilson sat up straighter and stiffer.

''Charles'', he looked down at his feet not wanting to watch Wilson's face ashen.

''Bloody hell, why would he do that'', Meghan tried to concede the shock but failed. Their eyes now shifted to Wilson. He was already getting up from the bed, and putting on a fresh shirt trying to undermine the pain he was experiencing from the wound and from the fresh piece of information he just received.

''Mister, what do you think you are doing'', Meghan pressed her finger into his chest, he looked into her eyes, his pupils were dark and brooding and filled with unspoken rage.

''Now is not the right time to act like my mother Meghan, somethings need explanations and I can be very impatient'', he motioned Caleb to fetch his car keys.

''I'm going to be fine, don't worry about me, you won't be leaving the penthouse till I say so alright'', he tipped her chin upto him to place one last kiss before he left, leaving her alone in the room.

Chapter 40 is up and oh my god Charles has finally managed to awaken the lion, what do you think will happen next! Don't forget to vote, comment and share💜