𝙞𝙫. 𝙛𝙤𝙪𝙧

Chapter Four.

My mother stands silently by the door, the room is slightly darkened but the candles burn just enough for the area around me to glow. She slowly walks towards them. "Red has always been such a beautiful but painful color," She begins, her mind somewhere else.

I study her in silence as she takes a seat on my bed, adverting her eyes in shame. "Mom-" I choke, is she even my real mother? "If you are even that-" I scoff.

She sucks in a loud breath and immediately tears begin to brim her eyes. She places her hand over her mouth as if she's been broken in two from my words. This reaction hurt me the most. She drops her head and wipes her tears.

"Scarlet, honey, we obviously need to talk." She sniffs and stands, I snatch her wrist which causes her whole body to tense and I wonder if I hurt her so I loosen my grip.

"Yeah, we do. Where is he?" I ask, referring to who I thought was my father.

We waited for my 'father' to return. I held the book to my chest as me and my mom sat across from one another. We sit in silence, my mom doesn't look at me but at her hands and sometimes the book that I hold. I hear someone pulling up, I hear the gravels shuffle under the tires.

"He's here." I'm slightly confused but I decide that if I just keep an open mind maybe this won't be so bad. I hear him slip the key into the key slot and the door opens.

"Man, I am tired." He laughs, we stay silent because he hasn't noticed that the energy is nowhere near as positive.

"Honey-" Mom warms, he turns around and his smile falters. He looks at me, to the book, to my mom and he sighs.

He takes a seat and studies the book, I lay it on the table and drag my hand over the cover and their eyes widen as the S appears on the cover. I watch my father reach for my mother's hand, she accepts.

"So, what do you need to tell me?" I ask them, looking at the woman who raised me my whole life. She's silently crying, they look at each other and nod.

"You obviously have found out. When you came to me and told me about what was happening, I knew we didn't have time." My mom begins, her voice is slightly raw.

"You have to understand, what we've done was only to protect you and to give you a good life." My father adds, his eyes tearing up.

"Who are you?" I look at both of them and realize that my whole life is turning upside down.

"We had met your actual parents at the bar downtown, it was before we even considered kids or marriage. We was just dating," My mom says, nervously pushing her hair back.

"They was great people, we had no idea about their gifts though." My father said shrugging. "They was way ahead of us in their relationship and it wasn't but a year or two of knowing them that your biological mother became pregnant." He runs his hand through his hair and looks at my mother.

Them addressing my real parents as my mother and father throws me off. They're my mom and dad or they was suppose to be.

"We was so happy for them. At that point, we wanted to get married and we talked about children but I had found out that unfortunately I wasn't able to have children." My mom breaks down into a sob.