True Evil

Silas always wondered why he was so different.

He had been given away as a baby and since that day it seemed like misfortune followed him around.

While other boys played and grew up relatively normal; Silas was small. An understatement indeed.

At the age of 16, he was 5"4, skinny and what his adopted mother called , "Too pretty to really be a boy".

His pale skin and light hair caused murmurs when he walked outside. His silver eyes stared down at his feet as he clenched his teeth.

He hated being so different.

Especially growing up in Porterville. A small town full of nothing but busy bodies and bored souls.

His looks certainly granted him quite an attention from other people.

Silas slumped in his seat, ignoring the flying pieces of paper aimed towards the back of his head.

The other boys had never rested when picking on him.

In fact, they adored picking on the small weak boy, beating him up whenever they could.

Silas stared down at his clenched fists.

God how he hated it here.

How he wished he could either be normal or or maybe just escape!

As he pattered in his thoughts the door to the classroom opened.

"Ah Father Brown. How do you do?" He heard his teacher say as everyone sat upright in their seats.

The priest of their church walked in.

His tall, but good looks gathered quite the attention, his cold dark eyes were something else.

He was quite young to be a priest too. Only 21 from what it was whispered.

But his cold demeanor and uptight personality seemed to terrify everyone. Even if his looks were quite.. good.

"I've come here to talk about the Nights Ball. May I?" Said Father Brown as the old teacher sweated under heavy clothing.

"Erm yes of course. Boys! Pay attention! Father Brown here has an important announcement!" Croaked the little old man as the young priest faced the classroom.

His cold eyes ran over the boys critically, pausing to stare at Silas, who had looked up in annoyance.

The young priest took in the beautiful boys appearance. Not making any emotion or sound but feeling a strange churn in his chest when taking in his pink pouting lips.

"As you boys know, the Nights ball is in a week, the procession before the summoning. I am here to say that there will be strict conduct that will be taken. So no horseplay or DRINKING, or there will be no summoning or redemption for any of you". Father Brown said empathizing on the drinking part.

The teenaged boys glanced at each other anxiously.

"You will be allowed to dance with a female partner if you choose. But know to look for the color of masks. White being for the purity. I also recomend to cleanse yourselves after the night to prepare for your summoning".

Silas stared at the tall cold but handsome man. Nearly scoffing at his words.

The summoning.

It was a right of passage for all teenage boys and girls.

Usually done by the age of 16.

It was a sort of cleansing to make sure they became respectable adults and wonderful parents for the future generation.

Although nobody ever spoke about what really happened during the summoning. That itself was a mystery.

Silas wasn't stupid.

He gathered they probably did something that either brainwashed or hurt you mentally.

He remembered seeing Anne Baker last year. She had been 16. Went in for her summoning and never spoke to anyone ever again.

She seemed to have lost the will to live as well.

Silas had never seemed a more defeated looking person. Even when it was announced she had decided to venture to the city to marry a local carpteners son.

Silas had seen her soul leave her eyes.

It had stuck with him that whatever they had done wasn't truly for the good.

It wasn't that he doubted his church or his religion.

Ok maybe he did.

But it was more of the fact that only his town spoke of this summoning.

As far as Silas had researched no other town or city did this.

It was suspicious to say the least.

The young priest continued to speak but his eyes kept going to Silas.

A strange look in the cold deadness that made Silas want to shrink away.

Something really felt off.

"Thank you so much Father Brown. The boys are all so excited for the upcoming ball and of course their own summoning!" Bellowed the little bald teacher once the young priest had ended his speaking.

"Ah let me walk you out. Boys no noise or there will be consequences".

The old teacher and Young Priest walked out.

Walking down the hallway of the pristine school.

"Mr. Pierce. There was a boy in your class. A small one. With light hair and eyes. Who was that again?"

Mr. Pierce nearly jerked in sweating surprise. The coldness of Father brown made him terrified.

"Ah.. Silas you mean. Yes little Silas. He's 16 if you can believe it. Quite famous around here. Thought you would know him".

The priests lip curled slightly.

"I take no notions in children. But this Silas boy, are you sure he is 16? He looks quite young."

Mr Pierce nodded in a jerking matter.

"Yes. Yes. He's just small. I hope the Nights ball and the summoning might help him out. Poor kid is always being bullied by the other boys. Not to mention he looks very much like a girl".

A girl.

"Yes well..thank you for the help. Have a good day Mr Pierce". Said Father Brown heading out the main door.

As he walked down the cobble steps, the memory of Silas kept showing up in his mind.

A small cold smile appearing on his face.

Silas. Silas . Silas.

It was the only name he would ever remember.