The Dreaded Detention

Recommended:

Polarize - Twenty One Pilots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I went through the rest of the day trying to ignore Malfoy as much as possible.

I even convinced Dani to come with me to sit at the Gryffindor table with Harry and Ron during lunch.

I did not want to be near Malfoy.

The closer detention got, the more I sulked.

Dani promised to at least walk me down to my detention.

I was just glad I at least had her as a friend.

Detention - September 2, 1991

Me and Dani made our way down to the dungeons, where Snape's office was.

"I was under the impression that you would be coming to detention.. alone. Miss Black."

"Sorry professor, I was just walking her down here."

"Yes, goodbye Miss Monet."

Dani nodded her head at professor Snape.

"Good luck" she said, and waved at me.

"Bye Dani" I said as I waved back.

I followed Snape into the room and he had me sit next to Malfoy.

Of course, I have to sit right next to him. Snape probably thought this was funny.

"Now, miss Black, you're here for punching Mr. Malfoy so I believe 100 lines of 'I shall NOT give in to my temper and restrain myself from punching my peers' will suffice."

He strode to the other side of the desk.

"You Mr. Malfoy, are here because I'm sure there is a reason for it. I believe 100 lines of 'I shall NOT provoke my peers repeatedly' will suffice."

Malfoy scoffed like writing lines was beneath him or something. I rolled my eyes.

"Make that... 120 lines. Both of you will use no magic." He said calmly as he confiscated our wands.

"Ugh. Way to go MALFOY." I said under my breath.

"I don't want this anymore than you do, PRINCESS." Malfoy said with as much venom as he could put into a whisper.

"Don't call me princess, Malfoy, you git." I snapped back.

"I.. believe the point of detention is to be served in.. silence. Add ten lines for each of you." Snape stated as he looked at us.

We were at 130 lines each now. We would be here all night it seemed. Malfoy glared daggers at me.

If looks could kill, I'd be dead.

I, however, was quite pleased with myself. Getting more lines added must have made him furious.

Serves him right.

"Now, just because both of you are missing dinner doesn't mean I have to. This room is not to be left until you are finished.. do I make myself clear?" Snape said after a few minutes of silence.

We both nodded.

He waved his wand and a very basic tray of two ham sandwiches and two glasses of water appeared on our desk.

"What a shame you'll miss the feast that's in the Great Hall tonight. If you'll excuse me, I'll be going now. Bring me your papers when you've finished. If I hear of either of you in a fight again in this room, you'll be in detention for the rest of the week and it will most definitely be during dinner."

With that, Professor Snape glided out of the room.

"He really expects us to eat these, did he make it himself or something? They look disgusting."

"No Malfoy, he put it there for looks." I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Of course were supposed to eat it. Our detention is during dinner you idiot."

"Oh shut it Black, if you hadn't of punched me we would be in the Great Hall right now."

"Yeah, well. If you'd learn to keep your mouth shut about things that aren't true then I wouldn't have punched you!"

He scoffed again and we went back to writing.

He did, eventually, eat the ham sandwich as he made disgusted faces at it.

"So it's true then?" Malfoy said after awhile.

I rolled my eyes "and what exactly are you talking about now Malfoy?"

"That your father was a death eater."

"Do I need to remind you that you'll be hexed? I'm pretty sure my uncle meant it. He did seem to enjoy announcing it to the whole school this morning."

"Oh don't be so hateful, I was just trying to make conversation." he snapped.

"Well, you have a terrible way of showing it."

I then proceeded to mock the way he introduced himself to Harry.

"Don't remind me of that it's not funny" he snapped.

He sounded offended.

"Oh you poor thing, did you get your feelings hurt for once? Don't talk about my father being a death eater then."

It was quiet or a minute or two, Malfoy didn't reply to my taunting.

"He changed sides you know. He.. wasn't bad." I said quietly, suddenly feeling the need to defend my dad.

"I understand what it's like, that's all." He almost whispered.

"You.. you do?"

"You heard me Black, I won't say it again."

"I... didn't know." I said as I looked at my paper, trying to avoid eye contact.

"Well... if anyone gives you trouble over it just tell me, yeah?"

I looked back up at Malfoy.

"So now you're being nice to me just because my father used to be a death eater? Because that makes total sense." I said sarcastically.

"If you tell anyone I was actually nice to you. I'll hex you."

"You're Bipolar. Did you know that?"

"I am not." He glared at me, then started writing again.

We went back to working on our lines. Malfoy finished before I did.

"Hey, I mean it."

"Mean what?"

"If anyone gives you trouble, truce?" He held out his hand.

I grinned and I, (y/n) Black, shook Draco Malfoy's hand.

"Truce it is."

Snape came back in at that moment and saw us shaking hands.

"I assume you two have set your differences aside?"

"Yes, sir." I replied at the same time Malfoy scoffed and said "for now."

I was starting to think that kid really was bipolar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't know it then, but Harry's rejection really hurt him.

So when we shook hands that day, it meant more to him than I could have known at that moment.

That's all Draco Malfoy ever wanted was friends.

Real friends. People he could count on, and talk to.

He just never had the best way of showing it.

How could he, if he was never shown affection from the one person he craved it from in the first place?