The Draught of Living Death

Recommended:

Cold Cold Cold - Cage the Elephant

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day after my detention with Malfoy, I went through the whole day of classes waiting on potions class.

I had been looking forward to it and I was excited.

When we got in, the boys were already there.

A girl named Pansy sat next to Theodore Nott, and I took my seat with Dani and and Pansy.

Professor Snape slung the door open and strides into the room.

It was a bit dramatic I thought.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few.."

He looked at Malfoy, and I noticed Malfoy actually smiled for once.

"...who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper... in death."

Now we were both interested. Snape looked behind us towards the back.

"Then again.. maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not.. pay.. attention."

He took a pause.

"Mr. Potter. Our.. new.. celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Does that mean what I think it does?

I knew he was trying to tell Harry something. I zoned out trying to think of what it was.

I heard Harry say "I don't know sir, but clearly Hermione does. Seems a pity not to ask her."

That's it! He was definitely talking about Harry's mom.

And wormwood stands for absence, but also bitter.

That's it, I had figured it out. A Draught of Living Death, of course.

"Miss BLACK, it seems you've decided you don't need to listen either. So.. perhaps you would like to share what would happen to the class then?"

I had totally zoned out and if I was wrong Snape would be furious.

I really wanted to do good in this class. Everyone was staring at me. I couldn't be too obvious about what he meant either.

"Professor, forgive me if I'm wrong. Does it mean that you bitterly regret someone's death?"

Malfoy scoffed.

I didn't care.

Professor Snape just stared at me, no words, just stared.

He looked sad almost.

I quickly added "The action itself would brew a Draught of Living Death... sir."

"Very good miss Black... 10 points to Slytherin for knowledge of ingredient's properties"

Everyone was talking now.

"SILENCE. Why aren't you all copying this down?"

Everyone pulled out their parchment and started copying.

Snape glared at Harry.

"Gryffindors, note that 5 points will be taken from your house for your classmate's cheek."