Crucio

A/N:

If you've ever suffered through abuse, I am so sorry.

Know that you are loved and important.

Recommended:

Daddy Issues - The Neighborhood

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Draco Counterpart POV

Me and Black have had fights before, but not like this.

She hasn't spoken to me since our first practice and it's after Christmas break already.

I didn't think it was that big of a deal that I called Granger a mudblood.

I mean she IS a mudblood.

I knew that stupid Potter and stupid Weasel used poly juice potion and tricked Crabbe and Goyle.

I only said I hoped Granger was next to prove it and get a reaction out of them.

Then of course, Black has to unknowingly come to Potter's rescue before I could explain. I didn't even know she was in the common room.

I don't see why Black even likes Granger. She's an insufferable know-it-all.

Black even had the audacity to bring up grades as if father doesn't remind me of that enough.

Father. She had the nerve to bring him up as well.

I knew she was referring to Flourish and Botts.

I knew she couldn't possibly know what happened at the Manor over Christmas break, but it was still fresh in my mind.

My father has always been cruel. Growing up he's always hit me when he was upset with me. I was used to it, really. First year it got worse when Granger did better than me in grades.

I had promised to make them better this year, but it's proven harder than I thought. She was smart, and had natural talent. No one could deny that.

"You can't let filth like that mud blood do better than you. It's a disgrace to the family name." he had told me.

"My grades are good though, I'm the top of our house in our year!" I argued.

Father hated it when I argued back. I barely ever stood up to him.

I still remember the burning in my bones, like they were turning into liquid fire after he said it.

I remember my mouth being open but I couldn't tell if I was screaming and it hurt. Merlin, it hurt.

I remember it feeling like it took years for the pain to stop.

I remember my mother just standing there crying because if she intervened, he would have done the same to her.

I remember my father scolding me and telling me I was weak for crying. That Malfoy's didn't cry.

I couldn't even answer him. I just let the tears continue falling as mother wrapped her arms around me.

She always does after he's done being cruel. Wraps me up and runs her hands through my hair.

Sometimes she'll sing to me.

It didn't change the fact that he had used an unforgivable.

Crucio.

I can still hear it when I go to sleep at night.

I couldn't control my anger so I told Black to shove off and stormed off to my dorm.

Her stupid snake was under my pillow and hissed when I threw myself onto the bed.

I screamed and I heard them laugh downstairs, which made me even more mad.

I yelled for her, stormed downstairs, and told her to keep her bloody snake away from me.

Blaise came in later and told me what Black had said.

"You should apologize you know. You don't really have to use that word to describe people. We're all wizards and witches."

"How do I even do that Zabini? Apologize? It's humiliating. She's not completely innocent either"

"That's the point of an apology Malfoy."

"Exactly, so why would I do something like that?"

"Because it's more humiliating to be an ass and not apologize. She thinks you hate her you know. You're more in the wrong than she is."

"I don't hate her."

How could she think that?

I tried to during first year admittedly, but I never could.

"Then you're going to apologize tomorrow morning."

"I will not." I said firmly.

"Don't be such an ass Malfoy, I know you like her. Don't let your father ruin it if you do."

"Oh what do you know Zabini! I don't like her, and even if i did, a stupid crush is all I could ever have. Father would never approve." I spat.

"Whatever, you're still apologizing."

"I'm not."

"We'll see" he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blaise and the others walked off the next morning to let us walk alone, I sneered at her and started to walk away.

I was still mad at her for hinting I was scared of my father. I couldn't apologize.

"A Malfoy never apologizes." I heard my fathers voice in my head.

"Draco wait!" She called desperately.

"Blaise says I should apologize but I'd rather not" I spat harshly.

"Malfoy, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that about your dad. I was angry. I do meant what I said, but I shouldn't have brought it up in the common room. Are you okay?"

There it was. An apology. Something that came so simple for her. It made me jealous.

"Oh what do you care Black?" I snapped.

"I'm serious. I am sorry whether you forgive me or not. I'll see you later.. Draco."

She used my first name again. I caught up to her quickly. Unsure of what to say, I settled for walking silently like we did in first year.

Breakfast was dead silent as well, no one dared to talk.

Blaise kept looking at me. So did Pansy. Merlin, she was annoying.

At least Monet knew better than to glance at me. She shot Black a glance or two and that was it.

I should probably say something at least, I didn't want to lose Black as a friend. If we were still friends, that is.

"Apology accepted. I'm still rather mad at you though." I said halfway through the meal.

She smiled. That was a good sign.

"It's not an 'I'm sorry', but it's close enough isn't it?"

I couldn't bring myself to say it, but she understood.

I let out a sigh that sounded more like a scoff.

"I'm not apologizing." I said as I rolled my eyes.

"Oh no, of course not." She teased.

She always understands.

I made a silent vow not to say mud blood in front of her anymore.

I didn't care if I hurt other people's feelings, but I didn't want to hurt hers.

I didn't want to be my father.