Lesson 45

Kun

"Kun Kun, are you sure about going ahead with this arrangement?" Mom furrowed her brows and held my hand in concern. She has been putting on a solemn look the whole morning, asking me the same question for the umpteenth time.

"Mom, I'm sure. Shuxin is a really sweet and kind girl, I'm sure you will like her as your daughter-in-law." I smiled, adjusting my necktie. "Why don't you go and mingle with the guests first? I'll be out in a moment."

Taking the red velvet box, I looked at the sparkling diamond ring within. It had an exquisite design, the band was decorated with small diamonds with a 2 carat diamond in the middle. This would be the ring to seal my fate with Shuxin. I let out a sigh and placed the box in the inner pocket of my suit. Time to face reality.

Walking out to the reception area, I was greeted by a sea of business partners of my parents dressed to the nines. Random people were coming up to me and congratulating me for the engagement as I replied them with a smile halfheartedly.

All I could think about was the opportunity to catch sight of YuXin. Shuxin said that YuXin has promised her to come and that was the only piece of news that made my heart thumped hard.

Scanning through the sea of people, I caught sight of my clique and walked towards them. "Hey bro, congrats!" Ziyi slapped my back with a jovial smile. Yibo is not here with the rest of them, he must be with YuXin.

"Where's Yibo?"

Yuxi gave me a knowing look and replied, "he went with my sister to see Shuxin, they should be coming back soon.." he tilted his chin to his left, "Speaking of the devil."

There she was, walking towards us with her eyes looking at Yibo with a loving smile as they chat between each other. Yibo had his arm wrapped around her waist as he led her to us, looking at her with pure adoration. Her eyes were sparkling with joy and her features looked a lot softer than I last saw, her longer hair framing her face perfectly. She looks happy. I felt a stabbing pain in my heart seeing the love of my life in Yibo's arm. That was supposed to be me right beside her..

"Hey sis, can you stop hanging out with your boyfriend for a moment and show some love to your twin brother too?" Yuxi commented with a sad frown, as the rest of the guys chuckled loudly. Her eyes lit up with delight as she spotted the rest of the guys.

Cheng Cheng stood in front of YuXin, scrutinising her features with a frown. "Wah, the two of you really look identical. I can't tell the two of you apart if not for your hair."

YuXin glanced away sheepishly and her eyes landed on me. She stared at me for a moment in a daze before collecting herself and smiled, "Congratulations on your engagement, Cai Xukun." She reached out her hand for a handshake and I looked at her briefly before shaking her hand, the familiar touch her of small and soft hand riled up memories between us causing me to feel a pang of sadness in my heart. Now, we are just acting like strangers.

"Thank you." I muttered softly. "It's about time, I better get ready."

I could barely remember the whole engagement as my mind was preoccupied with the thoughts of YuXin. All I remembered me plastering on a smile on my face as cameras started flashing rapidly while I put on the ring on Shuxin's finger. We kissed each other after the proposal and yet all I felt was emptiness.

"Kun, I've also invited, okay more like forced YuXin and Yibo to join us for the weekend at the hotel. They are staying at the room beside ours." Shuxin said as we went back up to the hotel. "I want to thank YuXin for helping me out during the engagement."