39

Faline is walking through the school, her head in the clouds. Her line of thought is broken when she crashes into someone.

"I'm sorry," Faline says as she squats down to pick up her books.

"It's alright" Faline looks up to see Matt.

Matt picks up a few books before handing them to her.

"Thank you," Faline says. "Normally I pay attention-"

"Are you okay?" Matt asks Faline. "You seem kind of distracted lately"

"A lot is going on," Faline says.

"If you ever want to talk, I'll lend an ear," Matt says.

"That's really sweet," Faline says, holding her books to her chest. "Thank you"

"No problem," Matt says, smiling at her.

He places a hand on her shoulder and gives it a comforting squeeze before walking away. Matt smirks to himself as he walks away.

"Alright," Stiles says as they walk through the hallway. "I only found one thing online called the Kanima. It's a were-jaguar from South America that goes after murderers"

"That thing was not a jaguar," Scott says.

"Yeah and I'm not exactly a murderer," Stiles says.

"Yeah, but you did see it kill somebody," Faline says. "Which is probably why it tried to kill you. And it's still trying to kill you, and it probably won't stop until you're dead"

"You know" Stiles calls. "Sometimes I really begin to question this friendship"

They take their seats in Coach's class and Jackson sits at the desk next to Faline.

"Hey testicle left and right," Jackson says. "What the hell is a kanima?"

The trio turns to look at him in surprise at his words.

"Alright listen up," Coach says. "Quick warning before we begin our review. Some of you, like McCall, might want to start their own study groups because tomorrow's midterm is so profoundly difficult I'm not even too sure I could pass it. Okay, I need a volunteer at the board to answer the first question"

"Paralyzed from the neck down," Jackson says. "Do you have any idea what that feels like?"

"I'm familiar with the sensation," Stiles says.

"Why would Derek test you?" Scott asks. "Why would he think that it's you?"

"How should I know?" Jackson asks.

"Wait do they think it's Lydia?" Faline asks.

"I don't know," Jackson says. "All I heard was her name and something about chemistry"

"JACKSON!" Coach shouts. "Do you have something you want to share with the rest of the class?"

"Um- Just an undying admiration for my, my coach," Jackson says, and Faline snickers.

"That's really kind of you" Coach says. "Now shut up! Shut it! Anybody else? Michaels, what's funny? You know what it doesn't matter because I am sure that your test will be the only one in this class that won't make me want to hang myself"

"How do we know it's not her?" Scott asks.

"Because I looked into the eyes of that thing okay?" Stiles says. "And what I saw was pure evil and-"

"Lydia's about fifty percent evil," Faline says with an amused smile. "Maybe sixty. But no more than forty on a good day"

"That's not a very good argument," Scott says.