92

"I'm not sure I know how to pronounce this," The doctor says, looking at Stiles' chart. "Or if it's not actually a misspelling"

"Just call him Stiles"

Stiles was fiddling with Faline's ring nervously, twirling it around her finger as Scott stands next to them.

"Stiles, just to warn you," The doctor says. "You're going to hear a lot of noise during the MRI. It's due to pulses of electricity going through metal coils inside the machine. If you want we can get you some headphone or earplugs"

"Oh, no, no. I don't need anything"

"Hey, we're just on the other side of that window," Mr. Stilinski says. "Okay?"

"Okay"

The adults leave.

"You know what they're looking for right?" Stiles says. "It's called frontotemporal dementia. Areas of your brain start to shrink. It's what my mother had. It's the only form of dementia that can hit teenagers and there's no cure"

Faline wipes away a tear discreetly and Scott does the same.

"Stiles if you have it, we'll do something," Scott says. "I'll do something"

The two boys hug.

"Can I have a sec with her and tell the others to just like not watch?" Stiles asks and Scott nods.

Stiles takes Faline's hands in his own and stands up.

"What are you doing?" Faline asks.

"You missed the formal remember?" Stiles asks and Faline chokes back a sob and nods her head. "Will you have this dance?"

"There's no music," Faline says a tear falling from her eye.

"We don't need music," Stiles says wiping away the tear before pulling her close and he begins to sway with her holding her close as tears fall from her eyes.

"You know," Stiles says as they sway. "Somewhere in the world is a guy dancing with a girl and he's normal. None of this, dancing with her without a care in the world. And I hate him. I really hate him"

She rested her head on his chest, and let him sway her body 'round and 'round again. She looked up into his soft honey eyes, and cries, dampening his hospital gown. She looks up at him with her tear-stained face and kisses him. 

As cheesy as it sounds, it's just like the movies. For that single moment, time stops. Stiles doesn't care about the people around him or the fact that he could have frontotemporal dementia. It's just him and her. There are no problems, no death, no suffering, just them.

"It's time" The doctor sticks his head in and Stiles nods.

"If it is frontotemporal dementia" Faline whispers. "I am going to go through every grimoire, ask every witch, try every spell. I am not losing you, Stiles. I love you, do you hear me?"