46

"So this kid's the real killer?" Sheriff Stilinski asks, looking at the three teenagers with doubt ringing through his voice.

"Yeah," Stiles says.

"No," Sheriff Stilinski says.

"Yes"

"No"

"Dad come on," Stiles says. "Everyone knows that the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all you have to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common"

"Yeah except for the fact that the rave promoter, Kara, wasn't in Harris' class," Mr. Stilinski says.

"Alright okay, you're right sorry," Stiles says. "Then I guess they've dropped the charges against him?"

"No, you know what?" Mr. Stilinski says. "They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything"

"Scott, do you believe this?" Mr. Stilinski asks.

"Oh," Stiles says.

"It's really hard to explain how we know this" Scott says. "But you just gotta trust us. We know it's Matt"

"He took Harris' car okay?" Stiles says. "He knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris' class, that they'd arrest him"

"Alright fine. I'll allow the remote possibility but give me a motive. What would make this kid want most of the two thousand and six swim team and its coach dead?"

"If you can't arrest him for murder how about stalking or breaking and entering?" Faline asks with a heavy sigh, knowing she had to spill her secret in order to help the others.

"What are you talking about?" Mr. Stilinski asks.

Faline pulls a brown envelope from her bag which is signed by Matt.

Mr. Stilinski opens the envelope to find dozens of pictures of Faline from outside, peeping into her bedroom window. Some of them were Faline on the phone, Faline with Scott and Stiles, Faline with Derek, Faline with her father, Faline changing. There were even photos of Faline in the shower which meant Matt had to get into the house.

"That's enough for stalking and breaking and entering charges," Mr. Stilinski says, putting the pictures into his desk draw after stamping it with evidence.

"This was happening and you didn't tell us?" Stiles asks.

"Other things were going on" Faline shrugs.

"But I'm still not hearing a motive for murder,"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles asks. "Our swim team sucks. They haven't won in like six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

"I mean he hates his job," Faline says. "But if he were to murder any of his students it would be you"

"Thank you," Stiles says.

"What do you want me to do?" Sheriff Stilinski asks.

"We need to look at the evidence," Scott says.

"Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work"

"Trust me they'll let you in," Stiles says.

"Trust you?" Mr. Stilinski asks.

"Trust Scott and Faline?" Stiles asks.

"Those two I trust," Mr. Stilinski says. "Now let's go"

The quartet walk into the police station.

"It's two in the morning," Tara says.

"Believe me I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important," Mr. Stilinski says.

"We look at the hospital stuff first okay?" Stiles says.

"Why?" Scott asks.

"Because all the murders were committed by Jackson except for one, you remember?" Faline whispers. "He couldn't kill the pregnant woman. Since Matt had to kill her himself, somebody from the hospital could have seen him"

"Boys and girl," Mr. Stilinski says.

They get to Mr. Stilinski's office and begin watching the footage of that night.

"I don't know you three. There was a six-car pileup that night, the hospital was jammed"

"There are cameras in every corridor," Faline says. "One will have picked him up. He wouldn't have been able to be undetected"

"Hold on stop!" Scot says. "Did you see that? Scroll back"

"That's him that's Matt"

"All I see is the back of someone's head"

"Mr. S, may I?" Faline asks and Mr. Stilinski nods.

Faline slowly scrolls the video forward before pointing at the window.

"That's his face," Faline says. "It reflected in the window"

"That might be enough but it's blurred," Mr. Stilinski says.

"Give me a few minutes," Faline says.

"We just need an eye witness to prove beyond all reasonable doubt," Mr. Stilinski says.

"Look he's talking to someone," Stiles says.

"He's talking to my mom," Scott says.

"Scott do you know how many people I deal with a day?"

"This one's sixteen," Scott says. "He's got dark hair, looks like a normal teenager"

"He looks evil" Stiles calls.

"Scott I already talked to the police about this"

"Okay mom I'm going to take a picture and send it to you"

Faline clicks on the video to zoom in.

"Do I even want to know how you know to do this?" Mr. Stilinski asks.

"No," Faline says.

"Okay," Mr. Stilinski says and Faline smiles.

"Did you get it?" Scott asks.

"Yeah"

"Do you recognize him? Do you remember him?" Faline calls.

"Yeah, I did. I mean I remember I stopped him because he was trekking mud in the hall. Scott, what's going on?"

Faline clears the blur on the freeze-frame.

"THERE!" Faline shouts making the other occupants of the room jump. "Sorry. But look"

Faline points at the now cleared photo of Matt in the window, it showed the boy's face in the window unmistakably.

"We've got shoe prints alongside the tyre tracks at the trailer site. We've got a freeze-frame of him at the hospital" Mr. Stilinski says.

"And if they match that puts Matt at the scene of three murders," Stiles says. "The trailer, the hospital and the rave"

"Actually four," Mr. Stilinski says.

"Four?" Faline asks.

"A credit card receipt was signed by Matt at the garage where the mechanic was killed," Mr. Stilinski says.

"When?" Stiles asks.

"A couple of hours before you got there," Mr. Stilinski says.

"Dad, if one's an incident, two's a coincidence, three's a pattern, what's four?" Stiles asks.

"Four's enough for a warrant," Mr. Stilinski says. "Scott call your mom back, see how quick she can get here. Faline go and get Tara and tell her to get everyone looking for this kid"

Faline walks out of the room and a hand is clamped over her mouth and her eyes widen as she's pulled away from the office.