Book II Episode 69 - Bound Reality '' Bound Memories"

Book II

Episode 69 - Bound Reality '' Bound Memories"

(Eugene's past life)

Tik. Tik. Tik.

The sound of time slowly ticking forward was the only sound audible to the small child lying face down on the icy lap of her mother. The soft scent of her mother's body wash and the musty smell of mold from her cold dark cell manifested together and further killed her beating heart. Numb. Her heart was numbed.

Tik...Tik...Tik...

The beaten child carefully propped her head towards the half dented clock completely battered up. As the child fixed her blurry sights on the clock hands, her heartbeat slowly quickened. 'Ah...' She thought. 'Time is still moving forward despite all the odds.' She was moving forward like the clock hand despite being broken and battered like the clock.

It wasn't long before a voice spoke from above. "What are you thinking of my child?" A voice that carried a tint of childishness spoke.

This was her mother.

Even without the child's reply, her mother stroked and traced her face softly like nothing ever happened. The warm hands slightly nauseated her a bit.

The small Eugene took her gaze back from the clock and stared at her mother's gently smiling face. 'How ironic.' Eugene laughed inside. The fact that this woman, her mother, is being so gentle whilst holding her in place for her grandmother to mercilessly beat her body with a wooden crane from behind.

The irony of it all.

It was as if the two were playing house. One moment her grandmother would stop hitting her thighs and calves to take a rest, and when she's got her energy back will start hitting her at the same place over and over again.

'But this isn't bad.' Eugene thought. Because they weren't using salt today. The fact that she didn't have to bear through salt penetrating through her open wounds made her slightly happy.

Happy.

Ceasing the gentle strokes, the childish voice with a hint of sleepiness spoke out."Mother, it's dawn." Her mother was reminding her grandmother that it was time to stop. After all, it's not like beating her up for 24\7 was something they wanted to invest in. They still had their own lives and other things to do.

"Alrighty.." Her grandmother's slightly old voice sighed in tiredness, cracking her neck and walking past Eugene as if nothing ever happened.

"The morning drama is starting in 2 hours..." Her grandmother's voice faded away as her mother and grandmother left the cell just like that. The sound of a large door closing was Eugene's queue to move.

"Skkk.." Eugene sucked in her breath, using her arms to slowly prop her upper body up. With determination, she pulled herself to the closest wall for her to lean against and rest.