Chapter 74

Not much time passed and although it seemed as if the sky had already let down all the rain it had collected, it was still pouring down as if there would be no tomorrow

Sighing, I looked up at the grey clouds as I stood on the doorstep of NCT's headquarter, tiredly waiting for my ride.

Taeyong, Mark, Johnny and Yuta joined me, carrying the heavy boxes of said explosives outside while I had to lean against the cold door frame and watched them silently.
Even though the wound on my hip didn't affect my legs, it did affect my posture and energy, making it much more difficult for me to stay upright.

Life was exhausting and I felt as if it was slowly but surely draining every bit of energy I had.

"Are you alright?" Mark appeared right next to me after he had carried his last box outside and tried to analyze my facial features.

Even though I didn't want to tell him, I was grateful that he had been by my side all morning.

"I'm fine", I lied to him, knowing that otherwise he would only blame himself again unnecessarily.
Although he tried to cover it up as best as he could, his guilty conscience was clearly noticable.
After my unsecessful call with Yeeun, he hadn't left my side for a second and had helped me with all kinds of things.

From tidying up my leftovers and helping me put on my clothes, whereby he had stood in the corner most of the time with a bright red head and face towards the wall, to packing my stuff and going down the stairs.
I, on the other hand, ignored his obvious attempts of redemption for his sake, secretly wishing that another person had actually helped me with these tasks.

"Hyuck went on one last mission," the older suddenly mentioned without context, whereupon I frowned in confusion.

"Why are you telling me that?"

"I don't know, you looked like you wanted to know."

Instead of being offended, a small smile formed my lips and I shook my head slightly while continuing to look at the thousands of raindrops colliding with the rough asphalt, forming small puddles during the process.

"Actually, we Dreamies were forbidden to take part in any more missions," Mark continued, also staring forward with his arms crossed in front of his chest, "but he practically begged Taeyong to let him tag along one last time. He is more than just pissed and out for revenge after what had happened to you and Renjun."

Understanding, I hummed at his comment and continued to lean my heavy body against the door frame.

"He wants to get rid of SVT more than you probably realize."

Still trying to stand upright, my gaze wandered to the profile of the ravenette student who seemed just as exhausted as myself.
He  looked at me as well shortly afterwards, the expression in his eyes unusually soft.

"Isn't that what all of us want?"

A small chuckle left his lips before he ran his hand through his soft looking hair and smiled at me weakly.
"It is and that's exactly why I hope we are able to work as partners in the future. After everything that happened, we owe it to ourselves and to the city."