𝟳 - 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗿𝘆 | 𝗦𝘂𝗰𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗳𝘂𝗹

I'm gonna catch you
You'd better run
I'm gonna catch you
Here I come

The tears kept streaming down my face the longer I thought about it

I couldn't erase the image of my father tied up to that chair with a bullet buried inside his forehead. His gaze was empty, looking at me and nowhere at the same time, as if someone had stolen the soul out of his body. Which was, literally, the occasion. The hollow expression on his face gave away nothing but sorrow, grief that only became my own, too.

I would've caught her. I was certain that she wasn't so bold without all of her toys, I just needed to catch her off guard. Her aim with knives and guns was inevitably flawless, but what was she without that? I mean, she couldn't be much if she walked around so armed, right?

My throat itched with the need of screaming and crying, but I knew I had to limit myself to silent crying. I felt my skin crawling and I couldn't stop chewing on my lips, destroying the skin on them. My hands were dank with my tears, and I felt the salty flavor of them when they sneaked through the corner of my mouth.

My heart was hammering against my chest and I felt cold. Really cold and alone, despite the fact I was in the FBI building surrounded by people. I was alone.

I hadn't chosen a team, which was the most important thing for an FBI agent to do before a mission, especially since I was the lead agent. I knew which operatives I wanted for this case, but I hadn't cared enough about it and, instead, I decided it would be a great idea to take whoever I wanted as long as we were a lot out there.

But it wasn't about quantity, it was about how good you were on the field.

So it was my fault dad was dead.

Niall Horan and Jackson Owens were two of the best agents after me, and they were my team choice. I had already let them know and updated them on everything this case involved. I told them what I had seen and everything we knew about the killer, and now I only had one more task to achieve.

Colson would be the last piece of the team.

Nicki Colson was one of the best hackers in the FBI. She worked as an inside brain, i.e., the person who guided us every time we had to go to the field. She could find everything we wanted her to find, such as cars, people, locations, and more, and she was, always, the smartest out of everyone.

I was on my way to her lab because I needed information about the killer's car. A red Toyota van. I knew Colson's level of impeccability and precision when it came to these things, so she was the right person to choose. If we found the car, it would lead us straight to her.

Reliant, I opened the door and Nicki turned to look at me, smiling subtly when she recognized me. Her blond hair cascaded down to her shoulders and her skin was pale, contrasting with her ocean blue eyes and dark eyelashes. She was tiny and slightly chubby, really pretty.