18

Silver just finished her detention with Professor Slughorn. He kept asking her about her relationship with Tom. Silver kept saying that they weren't dating, but professor Slughorn kept pressing on, it's obvious that he wants the gossip. She had to scrub the cauldrons for her punishment. It was quite gross. Detentions were usually at night, but because of the petrified students, detentions were done in the afternoon after classes instead. She walked over to Sophie, Leona, and Alfred. When she told them about her getting detention yesterday night, Sophie was quite shocked.

She was about to reach them when Neyda told her something. Silver jumped a bit when she heard what she said. Sophie's going to be petrified tonight. She went pale, being petrified isn't as bad as being killed by the Basilisk, but it was still bad. Being frozen and stuck for months is awful. She was going to stop this, she knew she could

"How's detention, Silver?" Silver smiled. "It was a bit tiring but it wasn't that bad." They smiled back at her, they didn't seem to notice Silver's pale face. People walked pass them whispering, yesterday it was only Sophie, but now Silver too. It was quite bad, but at least Sophie's not the only one being talked about. Sophie sighed. Alfred pat her back. "It's all going to pass, Sophie! I heard they're working on a cure for the petrified students." Sophie nods sadly and thanked him. Silver wished she could make all the students shut up, some of the things they said was really bad. She can't wait for it all to be over, but for it to actually be over, the basilisk must be killed. Or the other way is for Tom to change his mind, which could be even harder than killing the basilisk with no weapon at all. But first, she must prevent Sophie from being petrified.

That night, before sleeping, she walked over to Sophie's bed. "Soph, remember, don't go out at night, okay? It's just so dangerous outside, I'm worried about you." Sophie listened to her words and laughed. Sophie grabbed Silver's shoulders. 

"I know, I know! Don't worry about me!"

Silver barely slept that night, she kept staring at Sophie, making sure she's safe in the room.

Silver sat up from her bed, and went to the mirror. Her eyes look sunken, and her tiredness is very obvious. At least Sophie's safe. She rubbed her face and got ready for the day. "Gah, Silver, are you okay!?" Leona shouted at her. Sophie winced looking at her. Silver shook her head. "Didn't get much sleep." Leona smiled sympathetically and together they started the day.

Silver almost dozed off a couple of times in class, she thankfully managed to stay awake, but she barely heard anything that the professors said. She walked from class to class like a zombie. Finally, all her classes are finished and it's time to eat dinner. Silver lazily walked to her friends and sat down. Alfred was there. "Woah, what happened to you?" Silver groaned and banged her head on the table. "I can't sleep last night, I'm so tired!" She raised her head up and smiled at Sophie who she managed to protect.

Alfred ate his chicken. "Why?" She shrugged. They all went back to eating, and when they were finished, Silver felt full and that made her even sleepier. At least she can go back to her room and sleep now. Before she can walk out of the great hall with her friends in front of her, she was pulled back. Silver groaned and turned around. It was Tom.

"What?" Tom cringed at her. "You look dead. What'd you do?" Silver groan rubbed her face. "I didn't do anything, just didn't get much sleep." He inspected her exhausted and pale face. He shook his head. Before he can walk away, Slughorn appeared in front of them looking very interested. He probably thought they were going to kiss or something. He approached them. "My, my, Ms. Prennington, are you sick?" Silver forced a smile on her face, so did Tom. "Uh, no sir, just really tired." She could really pass out at this moment, she just wanted to sleep. Slughorn looked concerned. "I think you should go to the Wing, don't you agree Tom?" Tom smiled and nodded. "No, I'm fine sir."

Slughorn shook his head. "No, I insist that you spend the night in the Hospital Wing, Silver." Silver stared at Slughorn and laughed awkwardly. "I-, sir, pl-"

"You'll take her, won't you, Tom?" Oh. Slughorn only wanted some drama by asking Tom to take his supposed girlfriend to the wing. Ugh, why is he like this. "Of course, sir." So with that, Tom grabbed her wrist and pulled her to the wing. He looked annoyed as hell. When they got there, Tom left her immediately. Silver sighed. She went to the matron, and got a sleeping potion. She changed to a hospital dress, and crawled into one of the beds there.

The next morning, when she opened her eyes, she was greeted by the sight of Leona and Alfred. Leona looked pale, while Alfred was rubbing Leona's back, he too looked distraught. Silver sat up and cleared her throat. Leona looked at Silver.

"I- uh, what happened guys?" Leona sighed and looked down. Alfred messed up his hair.

"Sophie's petrified, Silver."

Silver let out some kind of shriek. But she stopped it, right? How could this still happen?

Neyda, what the fuck is going on? I stopped her from getting petrified yesterday! Did you tell me the wrong date!?

NO, I told you the right date! I don't know either, okay?

Silver put her hands in her hair. 

She failed to protect Sophie.

They heard the door open, and they saw a petrified Sophie being carried into the Hospital wing, and was put in a bed beside all the other petrified students. Leona choked out a sob. This is the first time Silver's ever seen Leona so vulnerable. She usually has this stony face on, and was always strong. But of course, this was her best friend being petrified so it makes sense. Alfred put his arms around Leona and she leaned into him. Silver looked at them, she'd say they were cute, but this isn't the time at all. She turned to Sophie's frozen figure. Silver got out of her bed and walked over to Sophie.

Sophie's eyes were fearful, and it was stuck like that. She let out a breath. At least she's not dead, yet, that's the only positive thing. She wondered how scared Sophie felt when she saw the Basilisk. Silver touched Sophie's hand and went back to Leona and Alfred.

"Who found her?"

Leona got out of Alfred's embrace and turned to Silver. She sniffled. "I did, Sil! She was nowhere to be found, a-and I was worried, be-because it's dangerous out-" Leona was stuttering like crazy. Alfred whispered soothing words to her and Leona calmed down a bit. Silver gave her a napkin.

Leona blew her nose and thanked Silver. "So, you went out to look for her and found her like that?" Silver asked slowly to not freak Leona out again. She nodded. Silver smiled sadly and looked out of the window. It was raining and looked really gloomy.

"Where did you find her?"

Alfred gave Silver a warning stare. "You don't have-"

"In third floor, right beside the window." Leona answered quietly. So Sophie must've seen the Basilisk's reflection from the mirror. Silver nodded.

Professor Dippet and Dumbledore barged into the room and walked up to them. Silver rested her hands on her hip and turned to the men. "Ms Brenwall I am deeply sorry that this misfortune happened to Ms Weddlylocks. But we need to talk to you and ask specifically what you saw.", Dippet said. Leona wiped her tears and stood up. Alfred stopped her. "Sir, she's clearly not in the right state to relieve everything that she saw." Dumbledore's eyes softened, and Dippet looked guilty. But Leona waved Alfred off and went with the professors anyway.

Alfred sighed and looked at Silver. She looked at the door blankly. Alfred walked up to her and grabbed her hand. Silver looked at him and smiled a bit. They gave Sophie one last glance, and went out of the Hospital Wing.

Silver was still in her hospital gown, walking hand in hand with Alfred Prewett. Everybody stared at her and whispered, she can hear them accusing her of the petrification, that she never really liked Sophie, or that she was a muggleborn hater because her "boyfriend" in Slytherin, and even saying that she's a slut for cheating on Tom with Alfred. It was heartbreaking, because she loves Sophie, she's such a great friend to Silver. A tear rolled out of her eye and Alfred pulled her closer beside him. "It's okay, Silver, they're just fools, won't get anywhere in life."

She scoffed and wiped her tear. "And I will?" Alfred looked at her and laughed. "Of course! You're a great witch!" Silver laughed. People whispered even more, about how she's so heartless that she can laugh in a time like this. Alfred quickly pulled her away from the crowd.