Surprise

"Hello. We have an appointment for Caryn Croft for 11:00?" Gwen said to the receptionist. "Sure Mrs. Croft. The doctor will be with you now" the friendly receptionist replied. After a while the doctor came and called them to his office. "So how can I help you today?" the grey-haired woman asked Gwen with a smile.

"Doctor I brought my daughter here for a check-up. She recently came home after she's been abducted. She indicated that she's pregnant so I would prefer if you do a thorough check-up on her" Gwen stated. The doctor's face stayed neutral, as she pointed Caryn towards the examination room. "Please undress. I will be with you now" she said to Caryn.

"So, have you thought about what to do with the baby?" the doctor asked Gwen once Caryn left the office. "Yes, I spoke to her about getting an abortion or giving the child up for adoption, but she doesn't want to hear anything about it. She keeps on saying that the father of the child will come and get them. I'm at my wits end with the whole situation doctor" Gwen said as she nervously tugged on the loose strands of hair surrounding her face. "Take it slow. The journey to recovery will be a long one. She's been through a lot. She will see the light soon enough. Did you schedule an appointment for her with a psychologist?" the doctor asked again. "Yes, my friend referred me to a psychologist who specializes in these cases and comes highly recommended. Unfortunately, it's a struggle to get an opening, so we only have an appointment for Thursday" Gwen replied. The doctor nodded her head in reply. "Please follow me" she told Gwen as she led the way.

"So, Caryn please tell me if you are comfortable with your mother around?" the doctor asked. Caryn just nodded her head in reply. "Okay go lie down" the doctor told her. Without saying a word Caryn climbed on the bed and waited for further instructions. The doctor checked Caryn's vitals and nodded her head in approval as everything was fine. She started feeling Caryn's stomach and looked at her with a frown. "How far along did you say you were dear?" the doctor asked Caryn questioningly. "About 7 weeks" Caryn replied. "This will be a bit cold, okay" the doctor said softly as she applied a cool gel to Caryn's stomach. She moved the instrument around while Caryn's eyes were glued to the screen. "Oh my" the doctor said as she gasped. "What's wrong doctor?" Gwen asked with a worried look. The doctor didn't answer and instead said: "Okay placenta looks good, amniotic sac looks fine" she said as she closely watched the screen. "Doctor! What is going on?" Gwen asked again. The doctor looked from Gwen to Caryn. "You are expecting triplets. Monochorionic and monoamniotic, meaning that they share the same placenta and amniotic sac. We must monitor you closely. Please get dressed, I need to do a few more tests" the doctor answered. Gwen gasped at the words of the doctor. The room suddenly felt too small for her and before she could even open her mouth to say anything, she fainted.