Sheriff Who?

Happy New Year everyone!!!! What. a. year.

Enjoy the first chapter of 2021!
_______________________________________

We teleported to a platue that looked down at a monochromatic city. This must be the capital, I never imagined it looked like this. The place was like the streets of Santorini in Greece minus the blue. A beautiful black and white photograph brought to life.

I noticed how me and Sans seemed to pop from our surroundings with our more colorful appearance. (Unless you are also monochromatic then you blend with the background.) He grabbed my hand and led me to an entrance. Sans pushed the double doors open and I got whiplash from the sudden burst of color.

Similar to the city, the place centered around one color. This time it was yellow. Columns and stained glass windows lined the corridor. Light shown through the window shading the room in different tones of yellow. It made the place shimmer. The shadows behind the pillars were so intense, it looked like black ink was spilled on the ground.

I soon realized that the light was coming from the sun. I unconsciously let got of Sans' hand and walked forward towards the nearest window.

When I reached the window I halted and turned to the side facing the glass not caring whether I got blinded by the light. I stared at the artwork on the window until I felt the warmth of the sun's rays seep into my skin. I closed my eyes and silently basked under the sunlight.

It all felt so serene and dreamy. The excitement was replaced with contentment as my wish was fulfilled. A smile curled on my lips.

Sans broke the silence. "soooo... what do you think."

"It's amazing.... I... really missed this."

Even when we spoke in low volume, our voices still slightly echoed. I turned back to him and saw that he wasn't there.

"behind you."

I turn to his voice and found him sitting on a seat opposite to the window.

"You never miss the chance to sit down, do you?"

"nope."

I softly giggle and took a seat next to him. It was silent for a bit, until a bell rang. It chimed 5 times, each one representing an hour passing; It was 5 pm.

The bells reminded me of ones from a church. The whole area, while not harboring any connection, felt religious. Sacred would be a better word. A great sense of triumph and anticipation radiated in the room. While I looked around, a few questions brewed in my mind. So I decided to bring them out.

"How often do you really come here?" I turned to Sans.

"i'd say about twice a month to report to the king. other than that, i come if there is someone who wishes to pass through. surprisingly, doesn't happen very often."

"You said you were given this job a few years ago. Does that mean there was another royal judge prior to you? Or is this a new title?"

He looked a bit shocked at my question. I couldn't help but think I said something wrong. "this title has been around for a very long time." He informed. "yes, there was someone before me and they happened to be the first royal judge."

"So you're the second..." I thought aloud. "What was the first judge like?"

He sucked in his breath. "well... it's a bit complicated... i never really met him in person so i can only tell you from what i've heard." I leaned in intently.

"before i start, know that not many monsters like to talk about him. it's a bit of a taboo to mention him. so try not to bring it up around others. okay?"  He warned gently. I nod understanding and his smile softened.