138

Stiles and Faline walk into Deaton's Clinic and Theo is stood there with the body of Lucas.

"What's going on?" Theo asks.

"Whoever's stealing the bodies probably isn't going to do it while we're standing guard over one of them," Stiles says.

"So you two have come up with a better idea?" Theo asks.

Stiles props his phone up to face the body and the clinic so they'd be able to see who was taking the bodies.

They then climb into Stiles' jeep and he puts up a small screen that reflects what his phone is seeing. Faline was sat in Stiles' lap as Theo had taken the passenger seat.

"What happens now?" Theo asks.

"We wait," Stiles says.

"You want to take shifts watching?" Theo asks.

"No, I wanted to spend some quality time with my girlfriend but now that apparently includes you," Stiles says.

"Sounds good to me"

Faline was sat playing a game on her phone and Stiles was pointing out moves she could play before Theo speaks up once again.

"You still wondering why I haven't said anything to Scott?" Theo asks.

"Maybe," Stiles says.

"You think I have some kind of ulterior motive?"

"More than likely" Stiles says.

"Would you believe me if I said all I want-- all I've ever wanted-- is for you guys to trust me?" Theo asks.

"Nope," Faline says, not letting her eyes move from her phone screen.

"So, you're both here because you're never going to trust me," Theo says.

"Yep," Stiles says. "Glad we had this talk"

"You know who you remind me of?" Theo asks Stiles.

"Theo, I don't care," Stiles says.

"My sister," Theo says. "She was smarter than everyone, too. And a pain in the ass like you. But she always looked out for me-- the same way you both look out for Scott"

Stiles scratches his neck awkwardly, not expecting Theo to compare him to his dead sister.

"You know, I was the one that found her body. She'd fallen into a creek, broken her leg... They told us she would've been okay if it wasn't one of the coldest nights of the year... If it wasn't for the hypothermia. And when I found her, all I could think was that I should've known. That I should've been looking out for her"

"Why are you telling us this?" Faline tucks her phone into her bag and pays attention to what Theo was saying.

"I'm telling you because even if you don't trust me, and even if you don't like me, I'm still going to be looking out for you-"

"Why?" Faline asks.

"Because you're my friends," Theo says with a shrug. "You know, I saw his teeth. Donovan. He was a, uh, Wendigo, wasn't he?"

"Yeah," Stiles says.

"The cannibal one?" Theo asks. "Wasn't it a Puerto Rican myth?"

"Native American," Faline says.

"The myth says that if you ate human flesh, your punishment was to turn into a creature that constantly craved it," Stiles says.

"That's a pretty judgmental myth," Theo says.

"Well, we didn't make it up" Stiles snarks.

"What if it was the only way to survive? I mean, you ever hear of the Donner Party? I'm pretty sure they didn't turn into Wendigos..."

"Well, they didn't live in Beacon Hills," Stiles says.

"Good point. So, what's the punishment for killing a Chimera?" Theo asks.

"You spend five hours in the car with Theo Raeken," Stiles says. "Like... I know what our punishment is. We're gonna lose our best friend. We're gonna lose Scott"

"If Scott really gave up on you for some piece of crap like Donovan, then he wouldn't be a True Alpha, would he?" Theo asks.

"Or maybe that's the definition of one-- someone who doesn't put up with murder," Stiles says.

"A true Alpha doesn't kill for power, that's what makes the true I guess," Faline says.

"It sounds like you guys need to look up 'justifiable homicide.'" Theo says.

"Did you seriously just say that to the son of a cop?" Stiles scoffs.

"He has a point Sti," Faline says.

"A Werewolf's eyes are supposed to change color when you take an innocent life," Theo says. "Do these look blue to you? It was self-defense-- for me and you. He would have killed Faline, Stiles. You did what you had to"

"Or maybe you just don't feel all that bad about it. You can't say one life is objectively less innocent than another one. What if they turn blue 'cause you feel guilty?" Stiles asks.

"So it's up to interpretation?" Theo asks.

"Yeah, maybe-" Stiles says.

"Okay. Then here's my interpretation of what happened with you two and Donovan-- not guilty" Theo says. "Did you feel bad about it? Not now-- I mean right then. Right when it happened. What were you thinking the moment you knew he was dead and there was no saving him?"

"One word... Good"

The car falls into silence as Stiles feels the admission weigh heavy on his conscience. Faline traces soothing circles on his forearm as he rests his head on top of hers. But they are both distracted by Theo sniffing the air.

"What?" Stiles asks.

"A scent... Like smoke. Like something burning" Theo says.

Faline and Stiles are taken by surprise by a fiery fist colliding with Theo's face, spraying them both with blood before he's yanked from the jeep. Stiles clutches onto Faline as the jeep is lifted from the rear.

"Stiles-" Faline says but she is cut off by the jeep flipping over causing shouts of shock from both teenagers before they both land unconscious on the roof of the now upside jeep.

Stiles was lay on his back, his eyes closed and his arms were wrapped tightly around Faline whose eyes were also closed, missing the figure of her half brother with Lucas' body in his arms.

Faline shoots up coughing and Theo rubs her back.

"The body-" Theo says. "The body's gone"

"We should get you both to the hospital. You took in a lot of smoke"

"I'm fine"

"I'll be alright"

"Suspect in one-eight-seven is in custody and en route to the station. Suspect's name is Yukimura, Kira"

"What the fuck?" Faline asks. "We were only out minutes, right? And in that time we didn't fall into an alternate dimension right?"

"No," Theo says. "Why? What's a one-eight-seven?"

"Homicide," Stiles says.