chapter 17

Manik's POV

I got up early and went to Nandu's house. I don't know why I wanted to see her but felt good sign to see her before match. Someway I found her like my mother aura in her not that she was my mother figure but found my comfort zone with her. Absolutely I can't agree her being any family relation. Don't know why but can't maybe she was not at all having any similar qualities I convinced myself like this.

Greeted by aunty entering the house .Likewise before she was not up ,so I went up to her room and stared few minutes at her seeing her sleeping beautifully. She is indeed beauty covering with those thick rimmed glasses.Staring at someone you love is not at all wrong but at your bestfriend is definitely wrong . Shaking all thoughts I awaken her shouting 'Nandu'. She groaned and turned to the other side of the bed without waking up. I again tried hard tapping on her shoulder to which she got up to sit . She said still sleeping resting head on the headrest. "Sid I'm sleepy why are you waking me up".

Suddenly some odd feeling hit my gut made her ask "Who is this Sid !?" with suspicion and said" I'm Manik".she opened her eyes took in the sorroundings and questioned " What am I doing here?". I thought she will be happy seeing me and wishes me good luck. But her expression completely sour not impressed with my presence.

"Are you not coming today too"I asked her as I know she didn't attended my match before. She didn't said anything  about my play while everyone praising me boosted my pride.My reply made me ask her again confused "Did you came!?".she answered without having any hint of sleep  ,"Who said that ?".
" I myself didn't saw you with your friends", I said remembering the day.'Ooh' she said simply continuing," With that you concluded that I didn't came"."Are else what do you want me to do,"I questioned.'Nothing', she said with distaste. "So you came then"I realised." Yeah" she answered. " Didn't see you you with your friends". To which she got triggered and snapped at me"they are not my friends".I said 'Okay' not wanting to prolong the  conversation it will be long to get answers from her.

I once glanced at my watch and found I'm going to be late. "Okay, where is my gift ? I'm running late"I announced.

" You came here for your gift", she questioned me in disbelief.

What she expected for me to came here, obviously I came here for gift and also to see her. But I can't say so, she might think otherwise.. So I said, "Obviously, or else what do you think ..To see you!!".

"No. But as I say it was not a thing I will show you after you winning match. I don't have anything for you now", She said in low tone.

It lessen my enthusiasm. I was about to go back reluctantly. But she stopped me and dragged me down to hall. Then she got me some thread."Mom got me this from temple doing puja for my good fortune , I think this is for you"she tied to my hand saying this.

'Then you should have to keep it', I said. But Aunt came in and said ," It's okay.. Manik wear it afterall she trusted, that matters".

Usually I am not the person to wear those whenever Mom tied those, I removed them just after leaving the house before but now I am happy about it. Again she reminds of mom "Yes, so Good luck" she ushered me but I turned and asked "Are you not coming?".

"Don't worry, I will come but they are truly bad people and will do anything to win"she said hinting seriosness.

" With whom?" Aunty asked about match. She said, " Mom, It's one and only Kranti's public school". " Is it your previous school", Aunty inquired. To which she nodded.

"Okay, I will take care, I am late.So bye and meet you in ground", I said leaving the place.

We went to the ground not in my school but it was just few minutes away from home as usual Kabir drove us. Everyone is tensed as it was completely prestigious competition loosing everytime while trying hard to win. Coach gathered all of us and said to gain our spirits to beat them up. Only thing I understood is that they are super players. Then captain's are called out for tossing. Everyone was tensed about it and we won the toss made everyone cheered even loud from the ground. Coach again repeated and asked us not to lose wickets and play well.

Kabir was smiling dry to which anyone can understand that something is wrong. Then Ram asked what happens" They are so arrogant , we should show them what we are by winning" he said fully.
" What happened?" Krish asked.
They showed middle finger to me, To Me stressing 'T' with much of anger pointing himself.

" We will definitely show them what we are.." Aarya said. Harshad and Shyam are not much interested in conversation feeling they are not included while everyone nodded 'yes'.

Then the game started as Dhruv entered the ground and within just a over he got out which was really unbelievable.he was completely dull to not playing well but we cheered him saying It was a great start. Then Harshad who is also best player lose at two overs but scored well.It's my turn even before the break we lost two wickets, so I determined not to lose anymore. The ball is reaching more harshly deviating our mind not to get hurt more like to hit. Now I understood what Nandu mean. I hit it hard without pouncing made it reach the boundary and Referee announced it as Six. Then another ball, mostly they are trying to study my play to hurt me hard I felt. It's been a while of me but then break is announced. I thanked Shyam he is really good and coordinate exactly like I play. But he slap it off it is for school not about you guys.Afterall he being Harshad's friend I never thought he will be this good with my experience We all gathered to make me sure and ushered me to play. Coach said to play still and make as much Runs as possible. At first I felt Shyam will not co-operate but we both are so good as companions.

I tried to make as much as Runs I can ,but lost balls I felt afterall. Much balls are off making me hard to concentrate to gain score at a point the ball hit my helmet made me stumble back but gained my sense. Then some person caught the ball to which some people cheered. But after a minute,Referee declared it as no ball. My breath again hitches which I found till now I am holding. Then I turned to see coach  to which he show thumbs-up. I regain my spirits and played when I stroked hard at the ball the ball slipped back just after touching made the wicket keeper caught off and let the wickets fall announcing as out completely.

I went off holding my head for first time feeling low that I caught out easily. Everyone hugged me but Shyam hugged tightly and said that I played well. Then leaving me Kabir went in ground. Kabir too played well but caught easily. The time is ticking as reaching the lunch time. Krish entered the ground and was playing and announced that our time was over with 210-4 wickets.

Then Dhruv came in with some sadness in his face hidden which I easily predicted. I went near him and asked what happened. He didn't said anything but I understand something bad happened. After a minute I again asked why are you not eating "Is it about match?" He nodded 'No' to which I clearly understood something wrong. "Is everything okay?" I again intended to ask but Coach interupted.

He said we played well and said we should be careful and to make them clean bowled. Then called Dhruv and Harshad afterall they are best bowlers. To which Dhruv was not that happy but Harshad smirked with arrogance.

Then it's their time to play.

*****************************
Swipe up for more....