Chapter 15b: New Top Ten (1)

Obsidian's Perspective
My body was trembling like the aftershock of a world-ending earthquake. It was hard to even comprehend what had happened, let alone get up.

Alabaster's Perspective
"What the hell's wrong with you - dad!?"
     "You need to calm down. You've always been too reckless - you can't control him and you have no real authority to the President. This event is standard, it's only fair that Obsidian does his duty, and he wants to do this-"
     I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Why can't anyone see what's wrong with Sid!? "This isn't just a matter of his physical well-being! If he were to act out of character again, we don't know what could happen. His condition could be getting worse as we speak!! He's obviously able to keep things about him secret from us!!"
     My brother was still in shock on the floor of the secluded room. That just proves my point. He's always been the type to bounce back quickly, and once he finally regained his composure, even he can't catch his breath.

Obsidian's Perspective
     After calming down, I managed to get back up. "Hey, I think I know what this is about and I promise nothing spectacular will happen - I'll make sure of it."

Thinking on the situation at a time like this wasn't good for me. She was always the type to go haywire whenever one of us brothers could get into trouble... She wasn't always like that. I wonder when it started..?
Either way, me getting distracted right before the event isn't good. Not only that, but I'll have to go all out this time... Heh... I hate having to try in fights. I know it may seem weird, being a Demon Hunter and all, but I don't like hurting people. That's what Demons are, people.
Others may not see it, but I do, and I have to make things right before I expire.
Dang it!! I'm getting nervous here! I made it to where I was very well-known in the city so people wouldn't make a big fuss if I was seen - even with tourists coming Miami, the locals seemed to protect me from them, so that's nice.

"The Rank-Up Event with Crisp Liger and—"
Distractions - distractions !!!! I still can't focus and Crisp isn't the best matchup for me. So, how will this all end? I'm going to die probably within the two year frame of the Demons' plot... but there's things I need to deal with afterwards as well... I continued to think to myself, completely unaware that the match had already started.

A staff was pointed right at my face. I hadn't even noticed until the Wolf-Fox was right in front of me.

 I hadn't even noticed until the Wolf-Fox was right in front of me

"I hope you're not going easy on me." His trademark smile plastered on his ominous-tones words.
     "To be honest, outside of that Demon, I haven't fought seriously in a while."
    Laughs from the both of us ensued. A brief moment was all it took for his staff to come straight for my neck. My reinforced arm had taken the shock as I increased the distance between us. Being too close could be my downfa- "What!?"
     A split second was all it took for him to be at my back; no wind and no way for me to sense the movement. It was like he teleported... Luckily, my shadow-sensing allowed me to grasp his location right before the strike.
     It's incredible how much force he can apply with that little stick of his. The only thing worse would be if he was allowed to use that Encoder's ability. It would make this a lot more difficult in my current state.
     The swift swings and myriad of jabs were quickly blocked and dodged by my large frame with a sword of darkness manifesting to slash at my attacker. I was sure it would connect, but he had disappeared again, the red staff coming at me from behind.
     His Cypher makes this nearly impossible to hit him in the traditional way and make his lashes all the worse to handle. Okay, just like me, he can't fly; if I find a moment to disorient him, I should be able to win. Just because I'm a passive person, doesn't mean I'll lose on purpose. As an Aloskian, I've always been taught to fight with dignity and purpose.

     That's when this fight took a turn. All of a sudden, Crisp was beginning to move all around me. Not just dodging one strike then attacking, he had almost seemed to appear everywhere. I couldn't pinpoint his location and getting frustrated.

I couldn't defend each individual attack as I had to endure the heavy punishment of each swing. During what felt like eternity, it just stopped. This is bad! Creating a black sphere around myself, I braced for an attack that could come from any side.