Chapter 24: Turning Point

Keith's Perspective

     A terrible shock to the head woke me up quickly

     A terrible shock to the head woke me up quickly. My temple throbbing as I accidentally walked right into the open doorway of my room.
Everything was covered in a red tint. I need to wake up soon... My mouth widened when it relaxed like a whale shark's jaw. I needed to rinse out my eyes without lifting my visor. The pain I feel if I do that before I'm done is something I never want to experience again if I can help it. 😖

My routine was a short run, hour practice with an automated punching bag, 15 mile swim, and today, morning practice with eight other Sergals.

'Hhaaa', I exasperated. The golden hue that trickled in from the clear roof. The air crisp like it was outside. The bottom of my feet still a tad damp from walking in the jewel-like dew on the grass.
The room was the same: massive. And the eight others were there.
"Hey, Keith!! How's it going!!?" A red-blue 'old-Gen' came with a loud greeting. I wore a great big smile on my face that looked like I belonged. His large hand grasped mine as we drew in and gave heavy pats on each other's backs.
But, in actuality, I hate him. "Nothin much, you know, same old morning routines and work." I hate him with a passion.
"Yeah, I know that feeling. But it's great that we're a Secret Weapon, right!!!" I hate how it was more of statement than a question...
"Of course!! Why wouldn't I..?" I trailed off as I rolled my eyes.
     Four of the others came crashing into us in a lively welcome. "It's been a good minute, huh, Keith?"
     "Yeah... a long minute." Honestly could have gone the rest of my life without seeing most you. My mind seethed as I thought about these people being my company.
     One of them grabbed my shoulder and pulled me into his side. "Man.. I wish we could see each other more often. Especially us old-Gens. And you're the last of our generation, right?"
     Yeah, wolves were used as great war assets that could work together incredibly well, as well as other benefits. But after major technological advancements, America created hybrids between wolves and sharks to counter submarines and Navies.
    They use technology within the genetically created people to form Encoders that they are born with as well to monitor and control their 'chess pieces'.
     Once over-water warfare was used less and more into armies and technological attacks, they began shifting to Wolf-Dragon hybrids. It was a cost-effective maneuver that brought 'generally' more powerful soldiers.

Another, one of the newer generation members, came up to me quietly.

Noah's Perspective

     Frantic steps back and forth in the cluttered room

     Frantic steps back and forth in the cluttered room. The large tv was muted and the couch was covered in crumbs of different colors. "Man - it's such a mess..."
     "Well, maybe you shouldn't be such a slob." How does this little brat hear every little thing!?

John

     John has always had the ears for gossip

     John has always had the ears for gossip. When I took Obsidian for the first time, he was listening in and questioned him the day after. I had to hit him in the head to shut 'im up.
     "I don't see you cleaning anything. I may make things worse, but you surely don't make it better." The small argument took my mind off the thing clawing at it most until I began pacing again.
     He finally walked out of the kitchen from stuffing his face. "You need to stop stressing all the time. The Demon said it'd be back in a couple weeks. Something about melding with the body or some crap."
    I took deep breaths. I knew he was right, just stay calm.

Keith's Perspective
I felt a bit of relief as he walked meekly, with an awkward grin. He was just an innocent child that isn't sadistic or crazy like most of the other members of our little group.
     I crouched low onto my toes and my lips curled upwards noticeably. Arms resting on my knees as I felt calmer than before.
    I was going to talk, but he came in...
All of us quickly lined up side by side. Our right fist hit our chests in a salute. I think I knocked the wind out of me. 😣
His disgusting blond hair made my hair raise, while lots of the others seemed to have their eyes gleaming in anticipation. Slight shudders in their body, not from fear, but of some twisted form of respect I deduce.
The President stood and started off this happy reunion with something impossibly stupid.
"Now then, we are going to cull the World-Class."