Chapter 22: Closer

San Antonio's Perspective
     Cindy making fun of me was interrupted by her serious question. 'Why did her mother go through all this?'
Her mother sighed, "We can continue this inside..."

     I walked astounded at the incredible house from the inside

I walked astounded at the incredible house from the inside. The living room was so... modern... It made me feel anxious again after the smell of singed clothing clung to my nostrils.
I took off my burnt suit, leaving me in a light blue button-up that felt stuffy near my chest. It was a bit difficult to breathe since I was scared of popping a button...
     We walked into another room that appeared to be an office. The shards of glass hanging from the ceiling were reflecting and refracting sunlight all over the room. It honestly was spectacular seeing some colors splay out on the walls. I wish I had this...
     I was kind of excited. I could have stuff like this too... I was taken by surprise when Cindy's mom spoke.
"I will say - I wasn't in support of it originally - but if this is the man you're marrying, I don't mind if he takes the name..." Cindy tried to explain, but her mom just went on with her fantasies. "Or will you combine names!? What is your last name?"
"It's 'Grate' ma'am. Though I'm not-"
"'Grate', huh?" She interrupted. "Cindy Crimson-Grate... that surprisingly sounds pretty good!! So, when's the marriage!? We can do it in a couple months - or would you rather next week?"
I was freaking the hell out!!! If I didn't have fur, I'd be red as a strawberry. I-I couldn't date Cindy... could I..? I took another look at her in a different light.

     "I-I-I-" My pathetic stammering was an embarrassing moment, but was saved when Cindy came into the conversation

     "Damn - this is why we have so many issues - you never listen to others and go off on your own like others' lives are just in your universe." Cindy's frustrated tone was only quelled by the unwrapping of a pastel green gum. She quickly inserted it into her mouth and chewed fiercely. "He isn't my boyfriend, just a friend. And I'm not marrying at this age, obviously, I wouldn't be ready for a kid at this age since I'd probably mess them up - like you did, mother."
     That last word hung there like a bee's stinger, just pulsing with a tad bit more pain every moment. "Well, whatever... but if you change your mind-"
     "Just tell us why the hell you called for me like this." It was only a second before her mom shifted gears.
"Well, I want the University to let you go on as a Semi-pro Hunter."

Adriya's Perspective
Guuhng!!
     Obsidian was heaving before the toilet in the bathroom. Heavy breaths were the only relief as he would continuously throw up anything he ate or drank. It was like he was paralyzed. His large frame brought down on his knees with a major tremble that seeped into his very bones. The agony on his face wasn't one from pain, but from loss of control.
I tried using my Cypher to help him, but it's not very helpful... Of course he'd rather not be feeling this way!!! Just obvious desires and no actual solutions went through his heart. I didn't know what to do at this point.
The doctor said this is easily the longest someone has survived with this condition. But I think this reaction to it is unnatural... Red dripped from his maw as he tried holding in another round. I couldn't help but snap at him.
"Obsidian!! You need to go to the doctor!! And you definitely can't be going on the mission to eliminate Devils in this state!! Why won't you accept it!? You're DYING, you should be staying home for everyon-"
"I don't care." It was flat but cut right through what I was saying. "I don't care what I have to do. If I die, I die. Period." I couldn't get the words out of my mouth. Rage boiled over and threatened to turn my green hair pure red.
"What is it that's so important that you 'don't care'!!?" I screamed. I was tearing up at this point. He looked at me with a pained sympathy. "What's so important that you don't care about your sister, you father, your brother, or even me!!? What is it!!?" My balling couldn't be controlled.
He wrapped me in his massive arms. I could feel there was a deep sadness in his heart. One that crushed me even more than what I was already feeling. "I-I'm sorry... I... can't explain..." was all he said before letting me go and leaving for a meeting.

Jackson's Perspective
     These strawberries were delicious!! I just had to give one to Percy.

     We were sitting across from each other at a booth. Chocolate covered strawberries were decoratively placed like a crown atop the table. My stomach feeling satisfied but my brain craved the vibrant delicacies.
The pure red was brought out to its fullest with the deep brown of the chocolate. The slight bitterness helped mellow out the rich taste and quelled some of my greed.
I held one of the morsel out for Percy to eat. He took a small bite hesitantly and gave a discrete smile. I've been trying to make him feel better. Ever since he went missing, I've been trying to get us closer together. I never want to lose him again...

I've gotten us to go on several dates since then. I need to make sure he stays safe while here, I trust that his new Hunter Instructor can protect him outside of that though.

His curled lips and gleaming eyes were beautiful to say the least. But it feels like he's hiding something again. I mean!! I love Percy's smile - but he seems a bit... off...