Chapter 34

Laurel's POV

I'm feel slightly amazed as I press a hand to my stomach and look down.

"What is it?" Locke asks curiously.

"I just felt him kick."

"Him?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Yes." I smile.

"Did the doctor tell you it's a boy?"

"No, I just... know."

"You know you're far enough along we could have the doctor tell us the gender?" He smiles back at me.

The doctor had asked during our last visit if I wanted to know the gender, but I declined. After the dream I had, I don't know how I'd feel if I found out we weren't having a boy. Not that I wouldn't want a girl, but it would all just feel- wrong.

"Yes, I know."

He continues to look at me, as if he's trying to read my thoughts.

"Do you want to know?" I ask guilty.

He's been right next to me ever since our first doctors appointment together and I've never even thought that he might be eager to know the gender. It's pretty selfish of me to never even consider it until now.

He just shrugs.

"I want what you want."

"Well what I really want is a cheeseburger and sweet potato fries."

His laugh fills the room before he ushers me out to go get food.

We get multiple looks as we walk through the town, most directed at my ever growing stomach. I'm close to six months along and it looks like I'm going to pop at any second. Many have started whispers that there's more than one baby, some went as far as saying there's three.

I shudder at the thought of having three children at once.

The wind begins to pick up and the dry, cold air has a bite to it, causing me to pull my jacket closer. Locke's arm goes around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him for warmth. I gladly nuzzle into his side and breathe in his intoxicating scent.

My wolf craves his presence and touch even more than before and my senses have become heightened. I've felt on edge the last few weeks, as if I'm being watched constantly, but I've yet to actually see anyone suspicious. Most of the time I blame it on pregnancy hormones, but I've also tried to stay close to Locke.

Today is no different as my eyes roam my surroundings, looking for the source of my discomfort as we walk. Nothing stands out.

We order our food before Locke pulls out his phone to respond to a recent message. His eyebrows pull together as he reads his screen and I can't help but smile at his look of intense concentration.

"Quit laughing at me." He says without looking up.

"I'd never." I grin back.

He returns my expression with a smile of his own, but it quickly falls when he glances back at his phone.

"Fuck." He groans.

"What is it?"

"I gotta do something real quick. Go ahead and order, I'll be back in a few minutes."

He quickly leaves before I have a chance to question him and my stomach also rumbles, demanding me to feed it and the little person we're currently making. I go ahead and order food, hoping Locke might actually be back in time.

I didn't feel fear from the bond when he had to leave, just irritation, which led me to believe this was a matter that wouldn't take a great deal of time. I was wrong.