Chapter 47

Laurel's POV

Zara's low, sorrowful howls fill my head as Varik lays still in my arms. I can feel Locke next to me, hear his voice murmur something, but none of it registers. This was a part of motherhood I never thought I'd have to experience.

The ground rattles around me and I glance over to finally look at my mate. His eyes have turned a glowing blue and the rage on his face would make anyone turn and run for the hills. He's lost it. Completely fucking lost it.

The marble tiles all begin to crack as well as the walls and ceiling above. Plaster falls in chunks from the sky and bursts into pieces as it connects with the hard ground. Dust and debris is starting to fly in all directions, yet all I can do is clutch my son's lifeless body to chest.

"My baby." I whimper as tears roll down my cheeks.

How can I ever recover from this? It hurts in a way that's unfathomable and I'm not sure I'll ever be the same. I'm not sure Locke will ever be the same. Being parents has been one of the greatest joys of our life and it's been ripped away from us in one of the worst ways possible. Having your child killed right in front of your eyes is... devastating.

I can hear Locke yell, a painful roar that portrays the loss we both just felt. More columns start to fall and dirt shoots up between the cracks in the tiles. Then I pick up on the fighting. I finally look up to see Locke charge at Kai while he sends a chunk of concrete flying towards him.

Kai steps out of the way of the projectile, but is met with Locke's fist. His head snaps back, yet he shows no sign of pain. They each begin to throw punches and slam each other into the walls as the room around is continues to crumble. I should be scared, angry, concerned, something along those lines, but all I feel is a hollow numbness as I wipe away dust from my baby's forehead.

The entire room glows green as the light from the surrounding roots begins to brighten. Before it was just a pulse, like a current traveling through a wire, but now it's a constant glow. It becomes brighter and brighter, illuminating the entire room, and I can tell Kai is drawing from the source with as much power as he can.

All at once the fear hits me.

"Locke!" I yell his name but he's too far gone inside his own rage.

"Locke!!" I keep screaming, panic running through me.

I've already lost my pup, there's no way I'll survive if I lose my mate as well. Zara will literally go crazy, death being better than turning rouge.

The ground shakes violently as the light becomes blinding. I can't see a thing as I pull Varik's body closer to me and do my best to protect cover his head, even though I already know he's gone. Tiny bits of debris fall down and roll off my back and the air has turned extremely dense.

I never hear an explosion, but I can only assume that's what happened when the illumination in the room jumps tenfold and my ears begin to ring all at once. After a few seconds everything becomes still and silent and I'm wondering if my eardrums have ruptured. I'm hesitant to look up, afraid I won't like what I see.

The silence is suddenly broken as I hear the thud of someone hitting the ground. My head snaps up, searching for Locke, but it's Kai that catches my eye. He's dropped to his knees and is clutching at his chest as if he's having a heart attack.

"This- this- what was he?" He forces out.

His skin has started to turn gray and cracked, his cheeks and eyes sunken in as though he were on his death bed. The once thriving vines that wrapped around the columns and walls have begun to wither, slowly becoming dry and brittle as they drop to the ground. The life they once held fades as green wisps of light dissipate from them, floating up and away from the cage that trapped them for so long. I notice the roof is no longer in tact as the souls of millions dance around the room before flying up and disappearing up into the night sky.