Chapter 13

Laurel's POV

By the time we made it to the Fae Kingdom we were both exhausted. Dawn was approaching and we had been up for nearly 24 hours, not considering the restless night I've had before. Not many people were out and about at this time but the few that were sent me odd looks, as if they were unsure.

We approached a large stone castle and I can't help but look up at it in amazement. I thought the pack house was big, but it's nothing in comparison to this. The place is pretty void of any character, but the size alone speaks volumes.

I become slightly intimidated thinking of the many people who must be inside. The Fae kingdom is all located in one large area and their numbers are not insignificant by any means. The amount of people he must having helping him run this place would need to be large and it justifies the size of the building. Even though the pack house is only a fifth of the size, we have other packs spread out all over the place that have their town and pack house. If we were to put everything together, like here, I'm sure we'd need something just a large, if not bigger.

I expect people hustling about when we walk in but I'm shocked to see dead silence. It's almost eerie as we walk across the vast marble flooring and up the stairs without catching sight of anyone. Locke turns back to look at me, as if to make sure I'm still here, and I give him a slight smile.

When he turns back I notice the blood stain that has grown on his shoulder where the rouge had bit him. If he doesn't treat it soon it will become infected and scar.

Jealousy courses through me as I think about a scar like that so close to where my mark should be.

We stop once we get to a door down the hall and he opens it for me to go in. Inside is a good side guest bedroom and he points to a bathroom in the corner.

"You can get cleaned up. I'll be down the hall."

With that he closes the door and leaves.

I begin to sort through my pack for a few items before getting into the shower.

The shower feels great after running all night but I don't linger under the water. I quickly wash up, throw on some clothes I had in my pack and grab some first aid supplies I brought as well.

Slowly opening my door, I peak down the hallways but nothing has changed. The place is still completely empty. I walk down a few doors following the scent of my mate until I come to the one. My wolf is at the front of my mind, eager to see him again as I turn the doorknob and push forward.

The confidence I felt seconds ago starts to waiver as his eyes snap to me. He drops the clean t-shirt he was holding in his hands as he faces me with concern.

"Everything okay?"

I hold up the ointment I made back home for rogue bites as I take a step towards him.

"I need to clean your cut." I look at his shoulder and his gaze softens slightly.

"It'll be okay. I've had worse."

"No!" I say almost a little to harshly. "No, it'll scar. Please, let me just put some of this on it." I hold up the small jar.

"What is it?" He eyes it curiously.

"It's something I made for rogue bites. They're nasty and always get infected if not treated. Don't worry, I've already used it on my brother, it works."

He nods to me and then pulls off his shirt before sitting on the edge of the bed. I suck in a breath as I take him in, completely shirtless. His entire body is stacked with lean muscle, different from the normal build of a wolf which is usually a lot bulkier.