Chapter 38

Laurel's POV

The hollowness in my chest is starting to become an ache that's hard to ignore. I don't know how I'm possibly supposed to stay away from him, the person that was made for me. The literal other half that makes my soul complete.

The worst part is that he doesn't even know I'm alive. Scarlett said it's better this way and he'd only come searching for me if he knew. I also know if he ever found Varik and I, he wouldn't let us stay. And it wouldn't take much convincing for me to agree to go back with him. I miss him.

I look down at Varik as he babbles and it makes me feel a little bit better. I feel as though I have no sense of time here but I do know that Varik has definitely grown over night. There's no way we've been here for months but he already looks six months old. I swear at this rate he'll be walking in a no time.

"How long has it been?" I ask Beckett as he approaches.

"For what?" His voice is the same, calm and cool, but I don't miss the gleam in his eyes as he watches Varik smear dirt on his belly.

"Since we've been here."

"On the outside? Two weeks." He says while wiping away a smudge on the child's forehead.

"Two weeks?! There's no way we've been here for two weeks." I say.

"No we haven't. That's one of the downsides of being here. Time doesn't align with the outside world." He acts as though it's just a minor inconvenience.

"So what? If we stick around here a few months, years will have gone by?" I'm a bit panicked by the information.

"No." He says, his voice never changing. "Eventually it all evens up. The time wave here is different and has a greater amplitude. We just happen to be on an downward wave right now, meaning time moves slower. Soon we'll hit the trough and go back up, our worlds will align for a bit, and then time here will start to move faster. Once we hit the peak, the cycle starts over."

"How do you know this?" I ask in disbelief.

Something rare happens and the corner of his mouth turn up a bit.

"Magic." He whispers.

"Was that a jest?" Scarlett's familiar voice rings out. "Is someone finally cracking that stone heart of yours Beck?"

I stifle a laugh when a hint of redness comes to his ears, but it quickly vanishes.

"Have you not heard it's rude to ease drop?" He says before turning around to face her.

"Oh please, you're not near interesting enough to follow around in hopes of catching a juicy conversation. I could trail you for days before I so much as hear a grunt!"

Her exasperated tone makes me wonder if she's actually done this.

"No, I came to see her." She points at me. "Can I steal you for a bit?"

"Sure." I smile and grab up Varik.

Beckett grumbles before walking away and Scarlett begins to speak once she's sure he's out of earshot.

"Come with me." She says in a hushed tone.

I'm tugged along and am jogging to keep up with her as we truck through the beautiful forest.

"Hurry before you miss it! And don't you dare tell Beckett about this, he'll kill me if he knew." She turns back to give me a quick pointed look and I nod quickly.