Chapter 30

Laurel's POV

"Come on L, it'll be like old times." Kline nudges me.

"No!" I say, exasperated that he keeps asking.

"Remember when you wanted to go back for that trap and kept pestering me?" He asks.

"Yeah, I do. And you kept telling me no and Locke ended up taking me."

"Bastard." He mumbles under his breath.

Kline has been trying all day to get me to go with him to track down a rogue, but I keep shooting him down. Normally this isn't the kind of thing I'd turn away from, but I can't just think about me anymore. Locke was livid the last time I went out with Dex and there's no doubt he'd really be pissed if I did it again. I also have to think about the baby, though the at this point a bit of physical activity would probably do me some good.

"Give me one good reason." He pushes.

I think about all the reasons I have in my head, but have yet to say, and Kline's face grows more serious.

"What's wrong."

"Nothings wrong." I say quickly.

"You're lying."

"It's nothing." I let out a long breath, hoping he'll drop it.

"Laurel, I know you better than anyone else, and I know when you're hiding something. Tell me what it is."

"Locke, doesn't want me to go out and put myself in danger." I tell him part of the story.

"Fuck him. That's being controlling. You can do what you want Laurel, and anyway, I'll be there if anything goes wrong. You've seen me fight off multiple rogues at once." He gives me a pointed look.

"Ugh, I just don't want to go Kline." I throw my hands up in the air.

"You're lying! You live for this kind of stuff. It was always you who planned out our scouting trips and mapped out where we were going, so don't tell me you don't want to go. It's more than that."

He sends me a piercing glare.

"We used to be close." His expression turns to one of hurt. "But suddenly I'm the last one to know you found your mate, and now you're hiding even more things. Why don't you trust me anymore?" His voice cracks a bit and so does my heart.

Kline has always been my ride or die and it's clear he's hurt we've grown apart recently. I didn't mean for it to happen, life is just a bit different once you find your mate.

"I do trust you." I say softly, hoping he'd understand.

"That's why you told me days after meeting Locke that he was your mate? If that was me, you would have found out that day. You'd be the first person I told. But I guess that doesn't matter anyway, because I'm pretty sure mine doesn't exist." His voice hardens.

"She does exist!" I point my finger at him. "Don't say that! And she's going to be the luckiest girl alive when you do finally find her."

"What if I have the same twisted fate as dad?"

"You won't!" I snap.

Kline had always been eager to find his mate, but I didn't realize how much it's bothered him that it hasn't happened yet until now. Part of me feels guilty that I've found mine before him and even more so that I've probably caused the heightened emotions. He looks troubled as he sits across from me and it hurts me to see him like this.

"Kline." I touch his arm, getting his focus back on me. "Promise me you won't tell anyone."

"Why would you even say that." He scoffs. "Of course I won't tell anyone."