Chapter 4

Locke's POV

I slam the book I'm holding closed and toss it aside into the already growing pile at the end of the table.

"What the hell is your problem?"

I look up to see Dex leaning against one of the bookshelves and eyeing the stack in front of me.

"I need help." I let out a long breath.

"You're going to have be more so specific, as that list for you is quite long." He says raising an eyebrow.

"Dex!"

"Locke?"

I growl at him as I grab a book beside me and aim for his head.

He gives an over exaggerated bow, causing the book to slam into the wall behind him.

"I'm sorry, your highness." He mockingly corrects himself before coming back up with an amused smirk on his face.

"You're a real pain in my ass, you know that Dex?"

"Here to help. Sir." His eyes light up with hope that I'll throw something else but I don't give him the satisfaction.

Dex is the head of the royal guard at the castle, but also happens to be my best friend. We grew up together and he's truly the only person I can be myself around. His father was also head of the royal guard back when mine was still alive but decided to retire just 3 years ago. Lucious believes the only reason he got the job was because of the fact that he's close to me, but that's not true. He earned the position fair and square.

Dex is one hell of a fighter and I trust him with my life. He might get on my ever loving nerve sometimes, but he's the closest thing I'll ever have to a brother. I'd have lost my mind by now if it wasn't for him.

"Okay, okay. What's up?" He asks, hands raised in mock surrender.

"What do you know about werewolves?" I question as he walks over to me.

"Like I said before Locke, you're going to have to be more specific."

I sigh as I rub my face and get up to close the door to the library.

"The ECHO Kingdom. What do you know about it?"

"Where the alpha king lives? Um that it's about a five hour drive. The Alpha King is Zander Knight and the Luna is Nicola Knight. The pack is mostly male since it's where the all the-"

"I know all that!" I wave him off. "But do you know of anything... different about the place?"

"Locke, I really don't know what you're trying to get at dude. Obviously you're looking for something so just say it." He says as he props his feet up on the table and I give him a look.

Bastard just smirks.

"There was this unexplainable energy I felt when I was there. It was like my whole body was charged and it got more intense the further I went." I try to explain it to him without sounding like I'm crazy.

Anyone else probably would, but Dex just sits there with a thoughtful expression.

"Were you able to control it?" He questions.

I shake my head.

"No..."

He gives me a look that says to elaborate.

"I made a tree come down." I sigh. "A big one."

"Shit. That's awesome." He smiles and I glare at him.