Chapter 2

Locke's POV

My drive to the ECHO kingdom is short as I'm lost in my own thoughts. So much has changed in the last 25 years and I don't know what to believe anymore.

It's been pounded into me by my father and Lucious that the wolves are the enemy. That they're unable to control their primal instincts and only care about those in their pack. It's true that they have a history of killing the Fae leaders, but I'm still not 100% convinced they're the bad guys.

Both my father and grandfather have been killed by the werewolves, but it's hard for me to believe they're as heartless and wild as they make them out to be. The only reason I say this is the fact that I've met the two that are responsible for their deaths.

Lucious thinks the only reason they showed me mercy was because of the fact that I was only 9 at the time. But it didn't feel like mercy and even if that was the case, that proves they can't be completely heartless. I never felt threatened or in danger by them, in fact I felt safe. Valued even.

I'll never forget when Zander told me I'd make a good leader someday and the memory of that day is as clear as though it happened an hour ago. I often fall back on those words he spoke to me when I start to doubt myself as King. My leadership over the Fae kingdom is very different from my predecessors and I'm often questioned on my capabilities. The constant hounding and ridicule has hardened me over the years, but I still refuse to turn into my father who ruled on fear.

Lucious thinks I'm a pushover, but he couldn't be more wrong. I want our people to respect me, not fear me, and know I'd do whatever it takes to protect them. Which is why I've come to see Zander about our Rogue problem.

There's a new electricity in the air as I cross the boarder into wolf territory and a hum in my veins that seems to get stronger the deeper I get. The air feels more crisp and there's a hunger beginning to build up that I can't quite explain. All I know is I want to drive faster.

Two men, who look like warriors, are standing up ahead and appear to be blocking the path I'm currently on. They begin to motion for me to stop the car and I grip wheel tight with frustration as they sniff the air. It's obvious they've realized who, or should I say what, I am as their posture stiffens and they ready themselves.

"Shit." I growl out as my fist comes down hard onto the center console.

A loud crack ripples through the air and I curse once more. The fear is evident in the warriors' eyes as they scramble to get out of the way from a large oak coming down. The tree crashes to the ground, just inches from the edge of the road and two men, and I take the opportunity to drive on.

After a minute or two I glance down at my hand in concern. Never in my life have I had the ability to move, or break, something so large and just thinking about it scares me. It's not the power I'm afraid of, it's the lack of control I have over it. My body feels more energized right now than it has in my entire life and I know I need to keep my emotions at bay so I don't loose control.

I finally pull up to the pack house as I see Zander come jogging up from out of the woods and I take a deep breath.

Calm, Locke. Calm.

I step out and try to keep my face passive as I watch the Alpha King approach me. He looks almost exactly as he did 25 years ago except for the few strands of hair that have started to turn grey near his temple.

"Locke." He says as I remove my sunglasses.

His smile is warm and lines on his face show that life with his wife and pups have been good to him over the years.

I think about what it would be like to have a life like that and I start to envy the bastard. Even though I know my father loved me, home life wasn't exactly the best. Expectations were high and part of me always wished I had my mother around. According to my father, she died giving birth to me, but no one really talks about it.

People say he was a different person when she was alive and that her death caused part of him to die as well. They had imprinted each other and her dying turned his heart hard and cold.

While we don't have destined mates, we can still form a deep bond with another, or what we call imprinting. This bond isn't formed with just any person, but someone whose soul is compatible with yours. No one is sure what triggers the imprinting process to occur, but it isn't something that happens all the time.

Some can be in a relationship with each other for years and never form the bond. It can only happen with the right person, which is why some consider it like having a mate.

The only reason I don't think it is a destined mate is because some who have lived long enough have been able to imprint with more than one person. Also, if you're able to catch yourself in the early stages of the process, you can technically stop it by cutting off contact with the other. While this is extremely rare, there has been times in history when this has happened before. Personally I think they're fools.

"I expected more from you." I say to Zander who is now a few feet away.

"I'm sorry. I'm afraid I don't understand." Confusion is evident on his face and I'm frustrated at the whole situation.

Surely he has to know about the rogue problem?

"Don't play stupid Zander. You're sending them to attack us."

"Sending who?! I've sent no one to attack you, we have an alliance!" He growls out, obviously just as frustrated with me now.

I probably shouldn't have come straight out with accusations but I'm honestly tired of all the bullshit that's been going on. He's the alpha king and should know what the hell has been happening with his own species. I have enough to worry about in my own domain.

"The wolves!" I yell back. "And that alliance is over. I should have listened to Lucious all those years ago when he said the werewolves couldn't be trusted. He's was right, I was naive."

"You're having rogue attacks?" He asks as if something is finally clicking into place.

"Please as if you didn't already know. Yes. Rogues. Wolves. They're coming into my kingdom and attacking. It's pathetic really. They're so easy to kill, however, more and more keep showing up and it's a terrible nuisance." My hands are practically vibrating and I clench and unclench my fists, trying to maintain a grasp of the electricity at my fingertips.

"That's not me Locke, those are rogues and we've been having the same problems recently. Things aren't adding up, this has never happened before." He steps towards me and I meet his step with one backwards.

Part of me wants to believe him and talk this out more, but I can feel myself slipping. The last thing I want to do is start an unnecessary war because I lost control and destroyed God knows what. The energy around this place has increased greatly, even from earlier, and I know I could do major damage if I'm not careful.

"I thought you were the Alpha King? Shouldn't you be able to control these wolves?" I question.

"They're not wolves, they're rogues. And no I can't control them."

"Well I believe they still fall under your jurisdiction, which means you need to figure something out. If this continues, we're going to start having problems." I say, leaving the conversation at that and letting him know the situation is in his hands.

"Locke, you know I would never do that to you. I promised you all those years ago I would look out for you and I've kept that promise and intend to keep it." He calls out as I get into my car.

I want to believe him, I really do. Part of me even wants to know more about the wolves and rogues, since I know little about their culture. I'm definitely interested in why this placed is charged with a power I've never felt before, but now isn't the time to ask questions.

I need to get a better handle on myself and I think it's time I start taking training into my own hands.