Chapter 15

Laurel's POV

How could we have been so blind all these years? Everyone had always thought rouges were senseless, rabid creatures, and in a way they are. But we had made one huge, inaccurate assumption.

A few times we have seen rogues fight till the death so we had always figured they killed each other, hence why there wasn't very many of them. We never expected something else to be killing them off. Especially nothing this dangerous.

Panic starts to course through me when I think about stepping in that trap. Whatever got injected into my system was developed by the Wendigo and I have no clue what other effects it has besides hiding the scent of my wolf.

Strong arms wrap around me and I look up to see Locke. He's searching my face and I can tell he's trying to figure out what's wrong and what's going through my mind right now.

"I need to go back home." I say and I can see his jaw tick slightly.

"Why? You just got here? We've been running all night." He doesn't sound very happy and his his hold on me tightens.

"The trap Locke. I need to go back to my lab and figure out what was in that trap. This could be really dangerous. Plus I need to tell my dad and brother about this."

He steps back away from me and I can feel the mood begin to change. Zara paces back and forth in my head at the cold distance between us, wanting him to come back.

"Why can't this wait? I can set you up something here, I'll buy you whatever you need."

There's a slight desperation in his voice, begging me to stay. I can tell he's not used to feeling so vulnerable and in turn it's making him angry.

"Don't push me away Locke." I say, walking up to him.

The icy look he had begins to melt as he continues to look at me.

"Can you at least stay for a day? We're both tired and need to rest before we go or do anything else."

He's right and I suddenly realize how tired I am as I think about the last time I actually slept.

"Go ahead and get in bed. I'm going to get a shower." He says, disappearing into the bathroom.

I go back down the hall to my room and practically fall into bed. Pulling the warm covers up to my chin, I snuggle into the soft mattress as the amazing scent of my mate drifts down the hall. It's comforting knowing he's so close and I easily dose off to sleep.

"This isn't what I had in mind when I said get in bed." A soft voice wakes me and I feel the bed dip. "But this will have to do."

Warmth covers me as I'm pulled against his body. If I thought I was comfortable before? Well, he's making sure it will be difficult for me to leave him tomorrow. Heavy breathing fill the air behind me and I smile as I realize he has already fallen asleep.

Sometime later I'm woken by the sound of ringing throughout the room. I instantly jump up, trying to figure out where I am before I realize the it's also my phone ringing.

"Hello?" I answer it quick.

"Why haven't you returned any of my texts?! It's almost been two days!!" A voice hisses on the other end and I flinch realizing I never told Kline I was alive.