Chapter 41

Laurel's POV

How much time has passed? I have no clue. Since this entire world is made from magic, so it the weather, meaning the sun is out and shining 24/7. Thankfully Beckett is able to put a darkening spell around the house when I decide sleep is necessary for my basic survival, but the never ending sunlight makes the days blur together.

My body is itching to go back and have another look at that shit hole, dreary town. My wolf clawing to get out and run back, anything to catch another glimpse of our mate. Just seeing him again felt like coming up for air after being down underwater for too long. I need him.

Even though the room is dark, I'm wide awake. Beckett doesn't stay here and part of me feels guilty that he's been kicked out of his own home. I'm not even sure where he's been staying.

Varik must be having just as much trouble sleeping as me because he starts to whine to be held. I scoop him up in my arms and stare at him, amazed by how big he has already gotten. It breaks my heart a bit that's he's growing up so fast and has definitely given the phrase 'don't blink' a whole new meaning. The fact that he's also claimed to be the supposed savior makes my want for him to never grow up even stronger. The world can be cruel and cold and right now he's safe just being my baby. I don't want him to grow up.

I decide to take a stroll since both of us seem to be a bit restless. Of course the sun is shining down brightly as I open the door outside and walk out. My feet carry me to the edge of our so called 'world' and I realized I've mindlessly walked back to the place I last saw Locke. I take a quick peak into the scene beyond, but I know he's probably long gone by now. Even though I'm not exactly sure how much time has gone by here, I know days have passed by on the other side. He's probably in some other town by now.

I continue to walk, shifting Varik from one arm to the other, when my wolf growls low in warning. My eyes scan the area, looking for the threat, and I wrap both arms around my son protectively. I have the strong desire to shift so I can better defend my child, but I fight it, not wanting to take the risk of setting him down and out of my arms. The air soon becomes thicker and I can see static condensing up ahead.

It continues until it forms a small clouded wall. A portal.

I've seen Beckett and Scarlett come and go enough to know that this isn't normal. Someone is forcing their way into this world.

The hairs on my neck raise and my protective instincts take over. Zara instantly pushes forward and takes control and I drop down on all fours, Varik tucked between my front paws. No one is going to touch our pup. The alpha female in me would rather die than let that happen.

I look down and into his wide eyes as he reaches up to touch my snout. The most adorable giggle escapes him when he touches my fur, as though I'm the nicest puppy he's even seen. I lick his tiny fingers and then nuzzle him back further as the electricity begins to crack.

I snarl in warning as I crouch down low, ready to pounce at a moments notice. Varik whimpers slightly, not understanding what's going on but right now I'm not able to comfort him. Only protect.

A figure comes flying out of the portal and I don't have time to think, I just react. Lunging forward, I collide into the man's body, pinning him down so he's unable to move. I growl in his face but it dies when the tingles shoot across my skin.

Mate.

I immediately shift back, slightly in shock that Locke has found his way here. Found his way to us. He blinks rapidly, clearly dazed from jumping between the two worlds, but his eyes find mine.

"Love?" He says hoarsely.

He glances down, noticing I'm naked and currently lying on top of him, and I can feel him harden underneath me. His eyes instantly darken and I want so badly to kiss him, but Varik's cries force me to move. I try to get up fast, but Locke is somehow quicker than me. He picks him up and holds him to his chest, his back facing me, and slowly sways back and forth. Varik's wails immediately stop and I stand mesmerized by what's happening.