Chapter 16

Locke's POV

I was seeing red.

If it wasn't for the fact that Lucious had practically raised me since my father was killed, he would be dead. And if he thinks I'm going to have her come out here just so people can attack her, he's lost his damn mind.

A hand slips into mine as energy surges though my body confirming my fears and letting me know exactly who it belongs to. She gives me a light squeeze and I return the gesture. I didn't want her out here at all but whatever happens I want her to know I'm here for her.

I look around as confused expressions pass through everyone's face. Whatever they were expecting, it wasn't this.

"So she finally shows herself." Lucious hisses, shooting daggers in her direction.

I glance over at her, and if she's nervous, she doesn't show it.

Those around start to whisper to each other and I try not to smirk at their comments.

"She's a wolf? But she's so beautiful."

"She doesn't look like a threat to me."

"I didn't know wolves looked like THAT."

Anger bubbles up in Lucious as he hears the words around him and he makes a threatening step towards her. I don't even think, I just react, and my fist collides with his face.

"Another move like that and you're dead." I promise him.

"You'll regret your decisions Locke." He looks his nose looking at her, then me, before walking away.

The folks around stare in shock as they witness what just happened.

"Anyone else want to try me?" I spit out, still angered by the actions of my former commander.

"Hey, stop. It's okay." I feel her grab my arm gently and I turn to see concern on her face.

"They need to respect me." I say a bit too harshly.

"And they do." She gives me a pointed look.

I turn to gaze at those around us and they begin to nod their heads frantically, some bowing down.

There's been many times I've let my anger get the best of me, but never before has it been towards the people in my kingdom. I'm not sure what triggered this response in me but I feel shameful for threatening them when it was Lucious who started this whole mess.

I spend the rest of the day in my office telling myself I'm working on looking for a new commander, but really I just don't want face her. Her expression was apprehensive when she saw the response everyone had given me and I hated seeing that look. So many times I had sworn I would never turn out like my father, yet here I am.

There's a light knock at my door and it causes me to smile slightly. I know it's her, because for some reason, everyone else here has no sense of the term 'privacy'.

I pull the door open and see her standing with two plates of food, handing one to me.

"Are you done claiming to work and hiding out in your office yet?" She says, walking over to my desk and sitting down in my chair to eat.

Ouch.

"I'm not sure, can you give me a few more hours?" I joke and she narrows her eyes.

"No."

I chuckle and sit down on a separate chair as I look down at the food, wondering where she got it from. I've never seen the cook make this and I wonder if she did?