Chapter 9

Laurel's POV

It's been a little while since I've let Zara run and tonight seemed like the perfect night, as we're both restless. My paws pad across the dirt path before I break off deeper into the woods. We come upon a small area where lavender has grown wild and my wolfs dives head first into it.

We roll around and lay on our back for a moment as we take in the smell of the flowers. The deep purple reminds of him and I have to suppress the urge to howl. Zara barrels off into the woods again, determined to release the tension from the last couple days.

We finally slow down and snatch up my clothes before heading to the lake. Setting them near the edge, I shift back before jumping into the water to cool off.

I swim around and float on my back, looking up at the stars in the sky. The nights here are peaceful and I find myself wondering what it's like in Locke's kingdom. I dive down into the water, loving the way the coolness completely engulfs my body as I plunge further. When I finally surface, I hear the faint sound of footsteps coming, causing me to jump and spin around.

"Goddess you scared me." I breathe out a sigh of relief when I see who it is.

Our mate.

I know I should find it concerning, or even a little creepy, that he's suddenly here but I don't. I feel at peace when he's around and I crave his presence.

"Shit, I'm sorry. I'll just go back. I didn't think anyone would be out here so late." He goes to turn around but I don't want him to leave.

It's the first chance I've had alone with him and who knows when that will happen again.

"Wait just let me get some clothes." I say and I can see his body tense while his eyes rake over me.

I can feel Zara smirking, edging me on to give him a show, but he quickly turns around.

"What are you doing here?" I ask once I finally pull my shirt over my head.

"I needed to let off some steam." He turns around but I can still feel his eyes travel down my body.

"By swimming?" 

"Well not exactly..." He trails off and for the first time he seems uncomfortable.

Emotions flicker across his face as if he's having an internal battle with himself. His expression hardens and he turns away, not looking at me as he speaks.

"You should probably leave, it won't be safe."

Won't be safe? I've never felt unsafe within the pack boarders, plus I can tell there's no one else within a mile of us. That could only mean one thing and I refuse to believe it.

"I don't believe you'd hurt me..." I say as I walk towards him.

His eyes capture mine and there's a vulnerability I'm sure not many have ever seen. Not from the Fae King.

"Laurel, please." He says as I stand inches from him.

His breathing has become labored and I can see his knuckles have started to turn white from clenching them together. I don't move a muscle, refusing to leave and I hear him curse under his breath.

"I'm not in control, I don't want to hurt you." His voice sounds slightly pained and I furrow my brows together in confusion.  "Please, at least stand over there." He points to the tree line a few meters away and I nod to him.

His hands grab the edges of his shirt as stands by the edge and pulls it over his head. The muscles on his back strain as my eyes stay fixed on him. Tattoos start on his left shoulder and continue down the length of his arm, stopping at his wrist. I try to focus on the design but he bends over, sliding his pants off until he's down to nothing but boxers briefs.