Chapter 20

Locke's POV

I stare at the paper strung across my desk. I've had work piled up waiting for me when I got back on all different matters within the kingdom and it's been difficult trying to even get through the initial pile.

Some are requests for new businesses to start, disputes that couldn't be solved internally and brought to me to decide, communications from outside kingdoms, and a few small other things like bills and permit renewals. Most of this stuff Dex is able to take care of while I'm gone, but he happened to join me on our latest trip so things just sat.

To add to the list, Kline is coming in two days and the recent discovers about the Wendigo have been circling through my mind. There's so much shit to do, which I usually don't mind, but all I want to do is spend time with her.

There's a sudden knock at my door and I look up to see Dex enter.

I immediately stand up and am on guard. He should at tryouts with Laurel, not here in my office. Did he leave her alone? Is something wrong?

"Call down buddy." He puts his hands up. "She's fine."

"Then why are you here? Did you leave her by herself?!" I ask.

I swear to God sometimes I'm not sure how I haven't killed him by now.

"She's perfectly capable of holding down the fort for an hour or so."

"What the hell do you want them?" My eyes narrow.

"Well, my dear king, I figured you should be there for our final selection of commander."

"Have you and Laurel agreed on someone?"

"Well, no... but I feel like it's a pretty obvious selection. Regardless, it would be nice to have your presence and welcome the new guy."

I nod, knowing he's right. I should be there for the ceremony.

"And when is it?"

"In aboutttt" he glances down at his watch. "2 hours."

"What? Already?" I cross the room towards him.

I guess it makes since now that I think about it. Laurel's brother will be here in no time and I planned for him to come after this was all over.

"Let's go then." I walk out the door, not bothering to wait for him.

If there's one thing I can count on, it's the fact that no matter how hard I try I can never lose Dex. He's always there.

All the men are standing around Laurel, intently listening to whatever it is she's saying when we walk up. I pause to take her in and a smile grows across my face.

"Don't do that, it's creepy to see you with a facial expression other than a scowl."

I roll my eyes and stroll towards her as all eyes shift to me.

I find myself unusually jealous of each of them and that they've been able to spend so much time with her, but as for why I'm not sure. I'm the one who gets to sleep next to her at night while they get chased around all day, yet I still have the urge to be in their shoes. To have eyes on me and show her that I'm also capable of protecting her.

They each bow slightly under my scrutinizing gaze before I realize what I'm doing. I sober up and feel a hand pat me on the shoulder from behind.

"You're still king big guy don't worry."

"And you're still a pain in my ass." I retort back.